yogiman
1 Copper

Win 2003 on PE 1950 Server Perc 6i

i all!

We have a PE 1950 Server with Perc 6i and tried to install Win 2003 Server by using the Installation and Server Management 5.2.0 (latest Version for the service tag).

Booting up the System with the Installation an Server Management CD, Dell Open Manager Server Assistant starts, but we get the error message "Unable to determine Boot device. Drives may not be initialized. Initialize using the Bios utility, ore check if the disks are connected properly."

Hardware and Perc 6i configuration seems to be ok.

Does anyone know if the Server Management 5.2 CD does support the Perc 6i ore do you have any hint whats the problem?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
at5147
4 Tellurium

Re: Win 2003 on PE 1950 Server Perc 6i

Pretty sure that 5.2 is too old. I would just get the latest. Also, you would want to make sure your OS installation media has SP2 slipstreamed in.

0 Kudos
yogiman
1 Copper

Installation and Server Managment V5.2 really seems to be too old. (but it's the latest verion offered by Dell on the PE1950 Support page)

I've downloaded an other ISO: Dell System Build and Update Utility 5.3  Booting with this Image i was able to configure OS Settings, Raid settings ... and it started the the preconfiguration setup. At about 50% of this process it asked for another CD: The Open Manage Server Administrator 5.3 . It's my first Dell Server, I have no CD package and i did not download this ISO. :-(.  I checked the support download page, but I only see a "Open Manage Server Administrator 5.3 update" - Is this the correct one? I was not able to check this yesterday, because I had no internet access to download it.

Anyway - I tried to install 2003 directly (without the Dell CDs) and used a USB floppy to load the drivers for the Perc 6i within the 2003 setup. This has worked and I was able to install Win 2003

For installations in the future it would be nice to know if the "OpenManage Server Administrator 5.3 update" is the correct CD ore where to find the image I was asked for.

0 Kudos
at5147
4 Tellurium

5.5 is the latest and most everything is now on one DVD.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz&deviceid=17861&libid=36&releaseid=R200230&vercnt=2&formatcnt=0&SystemID=PWE_1950&servicetag=&os=WNET&osl=en&catid=-1&impid=-1

You'll note that there are four different files there. You can to download each and then join them together. See step two of Additional Information under one of the downloads for the command.

0 Kudos
yogiman
1 Copper

Thank you!

I will download the files and try it when I have to setup the next server.

0 Kudos