cman6453
1 Copper

Windows 2003 Server Enterprise on PE 350

Trying to install and it only gets as far as the "Press Enter to continue" page and then it shuts itself down.

This is the first time I've actually worked with a server so I'm not sure if there's any prep work involved. I've checked and downloaded the install and server management software, ran it but there's not much for me to do with it.

I've tried installing W2K Server and WinNT Server with no sucess. However WinNT did not completely shut down. WinNT responds with a message indicating that there's no HD, press enter to shut down. I'm using a 60GB IDE hard drive with no data on it. It's not completely brand new but there's nothing on it.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
dell-richard g
3 Silver

Re: Windows 2003 Server Enterprise on PE 350

Couple suggestions:

If you go to the support.dell.com support web site, you can go to the PE350 section and review the driver downloads section.  The DELL servers come with a CD that "preps" the system with the correct drivers.  In your cause with NT, if it says that no disks founds, than most likely the disk controller driver was not found, thus the driver was not loaded.  To manually load a driver disk during NT4 install, you can press the "F6" key prior to getting your first blue-colored screen.   The other thing to watch out for is to make sure the harware system detects your hard disk.  View POST to see if the disk is detected.  I am beginning to think that there may be a hardware problem because of the problem you run into with W2K and W2K3.  These two operating systems would most likely incorporate the drivers for the disk controller.

0 Kudos
cman6453
1 Copper

Richard - Thanks for the reply. I was thinking a hardware issue as well but a couple things rule that out. 1) I am able to successfully begin install of Red Hat 9, FreeBSD 6.2 and Fedora Core 6. 2) There are some errors when installing those OS's but I haven't researched the specific errors. However, it doesn't seem to point to hardware, at least not server hardware. Other than that, the install continued successfully and I had Red Hat 9 running fine.

I'm thinking that it could be a hard drive issue. Although these 2 hard drives, 1 20GB and 1 60GB don't have anything on them, they have a history of failing and somehow "coming back to life". I've ran them as slaves on 2 systems with no problems.

Could a faulty hard drive have caused the problem? Could it also be the reason that WinNT did not detect a drive? As far as I can tell, W2K3 did detect the hard drive. If I enter thru fast enough during the install, I can get as far as selecting the partition in the W2K3 install. How could the open source OS installs detect the hard drive?

Bottom line, could a new hard drive solve this mystery? *shrug*

Thanks in advance!!

UPDATE: Successfully, and without errors, installed and am running Fedora 6 Core. Still at a loss here.

Message Edited by cman6453 on 03-14-2007 07:30 PM
0 Kudos
sparky52
1 Copper

Try only having the 20gb drive installed, and load 2003 to it. First off you will need the latest bios installed on the PE 350, and atleast 512 mb. of ram. If you have any issues with the install of server 2003 try another media disk since you may have a problem there. Make sure that you can see the drive in the bios. If you still have a loading problem try putting the 20 gb. drive on the seconday channel in the machine, and see if that works. The newer bios should remove the 27gb drive limit. If all else fails try another drive, even a little 10 gb. will do for the os.

I have 3 PE350's running MS Server 2003 with no problem at all.

They are:

PE350 700mhz 1gb. ram.

0 Kudos