sansun
1 Nickel

RE: Windows Server 2008 on DELL PE 2950

Jump to solution

Hello Dell Gurus and Masters can you please help me to install Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise x64 on Dell Power Edge 2950 III (Black Face Plate not the gray as it is depicted some where  on this forum)? I have Windows2003 R2 Enterprise server running on this machine. I already moved the app out of this server so no worries of loosing data.

Current Configuration:
BIOS Version 2.5.0
Exp. RAID Controller 2 LSI Logic
PERC 5/i Integrated FW Package 5.2.1-0067
Dell Open Manager Assist 8.10
BroadCom NetXtreme II Ethernet Boot Agent 4.44

Issue: We cannot boot the machine from the USB Thumb Drive or from the DVD with 2008 ISO image. I can only boot from the original 2003 Server R2 Enterprise Edition DVD or the DELL Installer Server Management V 5.2.0 A0 CD.  I suspect the BIOS is outdated. Is that correct?

Appreciate if you can provide me detail steps if I need to update BIOS or other Controller Drivers on this to recognize the new 2008 drivers etc.

Thank you

Sansun S.

0 Kudos
theflash1932
6 Indium

Jump to solution

BIOS is out of date, but only by a version or two ... definitely won't make any difference for this issue.

Let me just ask ... you can boot the 2003 CD and the ISM CD, but not the 2008 DVD ... are you sure you have a DVD drive?  They were not yet "standard" when the 9G servers were shipping.

As for the USB - assuming you prepared it correctly (sorry) - make sure USB is enabled with BIOS support in the BIOS Setup (F2), then put the USB in the system and power on (or reboot) and boot to the BIOS.  There/then you should have the option to raise the priority of the USB device in the boot/HDD sequence.

0 Kudos
sansun
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

It is clearly printed on the fascia of the tray that it is DVD rom .

Following are the settings Inside the BIOS setup (F2) :

Boot Sequence ....................[shows only 3 options]
1.SATA CD-ROM device Port B,
2.Hard Drive C:,
3.Embedded NIC 1MBA v4.4.4 slot 0500.

Integrated Devices:
User Accessible USB Ports ..... All Ports On
Internal USB Port ..........On
Embedded GB NIC1 ....... Enabled with PXE

Any way to exchange the Embedded GB NIC1 boot option for USB Port ?

Appreciate any help..

0 Kudos
theflash1932
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Did you power on WITH the USB key in a slot?  If it is not there when the system comes on, it will not be available in the boot sequence.  Do you have a HDD sequence option too?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
sansun
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Flash1932 you may be right and I also noticed that its only recognize and boot from the USB Flash drive created with the Dell's USBKeyPrepF6

tool. Upgrading the BIOS went smooth from 2.5 to 2.6.1 and then to 2.7.0 without any glitch. Thought I have not noticed any obvious difference before

and after the BIOS flash except the version#.

What other firmware/driver upgrade I have to do to prepare this for a 2008R2 install?

0 Kudos
theflash1932
6 Indium

Jump to solution

System firmware should be updated together:  BIOS, then ESM/BMC, PERC, NIC, HDD, DRAC.

Also, depending on your RAID controller, you will need to configure RAID PRIOR to attempting to install Windows.

(Maybe you only used the F6KeyPrep utility as a test, but you will not need that for a 2008R2 install.)

0 Kudos