Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 15th, 2016 15:00

Windows Server 2016 / Lifecycle Controller

New Lifecycle Controller 2.40.40.40 was released Oct 12, the same day as Windows Server 2016 general availability, but it doesn't appear to support Server 2016. (I expected to see Windows Server 2016 included in the options for OS deployment, but it's not there.)

Is an update coming soon? Thanks!

• 

6.2K Posts

October 15th, 2016 18:00

Hello

Is an update coming soon?

We do not announce expected release dates or a list of upcoming changes for drivers or firmware.

Server 2016 support is expected to align with the retail release of the operating system. Server 2016 evaluation is not a supported operating system. It is not meant to be run on production systems. It is an evaluation operating system. When server 2016 becomes available for purchase you should see driver availability. Some applications and firmware will not have 2016 support at release. It will likely be added in their first update after it is released.

Thanks

9 Posts

October 15th, 2016 18:00

The general availability date was Oct 12 and I downloaded the production release through my SPLA account (service provider licensing). It's not an evaluation copy or preview.

If I install the OS without waiting for Lifecycle Controller support, will I be missing any important features? (I previously installed the technical preview without using it, and it worked fine as far as I can tell.)

Thanks!

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

October 15th, 2016 23:00

Server 2016 IS available now, but OEM's will not generally support it from day one. They typically test and validate the final RTM bits and tweak any drivers and documentation that is necessary before validating and supporting the new OS.

No, you will not be missing any functionality installing directly from OS media. The other tools are only that - tools, utilities to simplify the process.

October 17th, 2016 13:00

After I updated the OS driver pack, Windows Server 2016 showed up as an option but the OS deployment process failed to detect my USB install media so I had to install directly from USB without lifecycle assistance anyway.  At least USB UEFI boot is finally working using the 2016 media with an NTFS partition.

This happens to me a lot with USB media.  It would be nice if I could ignore media checks during OS deployment using the lifecycle controller.

9 Posts

October 17th, 2016 18:00

Interesting, on Oct 13 Dell released an updated driver pack for 13G servers and another one specifically for FM120x4 which is 12G. But I haven't found one for my R720xd which is also 12G. Perhaps it will be released soon.

17 Posts

December 25th, 2016 20:00

The last post on this topic was back in Oct '16... since this post, DELL did release v2.41.40.40 of the Lifecycle Controller.  Does anyone know if this version supports installing Server 2016 (using the DRAC)?

17 Posts

March 14th, 2017 12:00

Based on this link:

www.dell.com/.../Install-Windows-Server-2016-by-using-Dell-LifeCycle-Controller

Only 13G servers will support installing Server 2016 via the Lifecycle Controller.

No Events found!