Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 1st, 2007 23:00

Windows Small Business Server 2003 - SP2 installation error

On a PowerEdge 700 with Windows Small Business Server 2003 and attempting to install SP2, the following error message enountered.

'Unable to install cabinet files'

SP2 NOT installed.

Has any kind soul experienced this?

~ Cask23

22 Posts

November 7th, 2007 04:00

Hi Cask,

This error could be due to the corrupted CD image or exe file. Have you tried using a new CD image? Please try downloading new SP2 image from the microsoft website and use it.

Thanks,
Raja.

3 Posts

November 8th, 2007 16:00

Thanks, Raja.  I will attempt to give it a try.  But it seemed to me that Windows Update thinks it is already downloaded and ready to install and would not let me download again.  I could be wrong about that.

November 15th, 2007 03:00

The link below takes you to the Microsoft Download Center page for Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 (32-bit x86). This is the full service pack download and does not use Windows Update cached files.

If you do have a corrupt download in Windows Update, stop the Automatic Updates and Background Intelligent Transfer Services. Rename the SoftwareDistribution folder in your Windows installation folder to SoftwareDistribution.old. Start both of the services again. This prevents Windows Update from seeing previously cached downloads.
No Events found!