shawhu
1 Copper

cannot install esxi 4.1 on dell poweredge 4.1 update 1

I'm baffled.

When I tried to install Dell customized ESXi 4.1u1 on a Dell R410 server, the CD boot stucked at 

Loading install.vgz.....

Booting: MBI=0x000100c0, entry=0x00400256

And I've already updated the server BIOS and PERC 6i Raid card to the latest firmware version

any help will be appreciated!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Dev Mgr
5 Iridium

Re: cannot install esxi 4.1 on dell poweredge 4.1 update 1

It sounds like either a bad image or possibly a bad CDROM/DVDROM drive.

Try booting the disk on your own desktop (don't install obviously, but just to see if it'll finish the boot or not).

Member since 2003

0 Kudos
shawhu
1 Copper

I've compared the md5sum and I've tried known to be good CD media to boot. still not working

It could be DVD-Drive problem though, as my Dell R410 doesnt have a built-in DVD Drive, so I have to attach a usb DVD-Drive to install...

0 Kudos
shawhu
1 Copper

emoticon.Confused.title

I treid a vsphere ESX 4.1 (not free of charge ESXi 4.1), it went perfectly...

It seems to me that maybe after all, I dont have a choice but have to purchase a license for it. Not very willingly.

0 Kudos
Dev Mgr
5 Iridium

You can just get the free version of ESXi (with the ISO) from VMware and give that a try.

There is no reason that the server wouldn't allow installing the free version of ESXi.

Member since 2003

0 Kudos
shawhu
1 Copper

I've tried ESXi 4.1u1 4.1 4.0 and 3.5 iso download from vmware and 4.1u1 from Dell but none of them seems to work for me.
And I now have so many CDs to through away.

The only thing worked for me is ESX 4.1u1, the paid version

0 Kudos
Dev Mgr
5 Iridium

Weird. I have done numerous ESXi installs using Dell images and non-Dell (including VMware's) images and never really had a problem unless there was something else causing the problem.

Member since 2003

0 Kudos
shawhu
1 Copper

Well, it could be...that my Dell R410 doesn't have a built-in DVD-drive so I attached  a portable usb dvd drive to install esxi. Maybe esxi not compatiple with this particular usb dvd drive? I dont know.

I know that It's hardly the case but I'm going to try using a real SATA DVD drive, to see if that caused the problem...

Although I've already got my approval of the budget for esx licensing, I'm so curious about why esxi can't be installed...

0 Kudos
Rey Garza
3 Cadmium

I just tried this on my R410, perc6i, (no internal DVD) had to use an external USB dvd drive and it installed fine. Just to confirm, this is the iso you used?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
shawhu
1 Copper

the link you post is dell customized version 4.1u1 a02 version and yes, I've tried the iso you posted.

I've also tried Dell customized version 4.1u1, 4.1 and vmware iso 4.1u1, 4.1, 4.0...

4.1u1, 4.1, 4.0 dell or original vmware build, they all failed at the same place, with the same error msg.

they are all hang at 

Loading install.vgz.....

Booting: MBI=0x000100c0, entry=0x00400256(this entry code may change depending on versions)

and it stops, no hard disk activity no DVD activity.
ESX 4.1u1 is working fine. No problem at all. so...
my system spec
xeon 5620 X2
8GB ram
300SAS X 4 combined for a single raid-5 virtual disk
PERC 6/i firmware a12
iDRAC6 latest firmware version, and i'm sure it will not be responsible
Broadcom NetXtreme II firmware a03
system bios 1.6.3
all components firmwares are latest version
Would you please post your system bios version as well as perc 6/i idrac6 broadcom NIC network card firmware versions? if not trouble you too much...
and thank you for your help!!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos