Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 25th, 2011 23:00

cannot install esxi 4.1 on dell poweredge 4.1 update 1

I'm baffled.

When I tried to install Dell customized ESXi 4.1u1 on a Dell R410 server, the CD boot stucked at 

Loading install.vgz.....

Booting: MBI=0x000100c0, entry=0x00400256

And I've already updated the server BIOS and PERC 6i Raid card to the latest firmware version

any help will be appreciated!

9.3K Posts

March 26th, 2011 19:00

It sounds like either a bad image or possibly a bad CDROM/DVDROM drive.

Try booting the disk on your own desktop (don't install obviously, but just to see if it'll finish the boot or not).

9 Posts

March 26th, 2011 21:00

I've compared the md5sum and I've tried known to be good CD media to boot. still not working

It could be DVD-Drive problem though, as my Dell R410 doesnt have a built-in DVD Drive, so I have to attach a usb DVD-Drive to install...

9 Posts

March 26th, 2011 22:00

:emotion-43:

I treid a vsphere ESX 4.1 (not free of charge ESXi 4.1), it went perfectly...

It seems to me that maybe after all, I dont have a choice but have to purchase a license for it. Not very willingly.

9.3K Posts

March 26th, 2011 22:00

You can just get the free version of ESXi (with the ISO) from VMware and give that a try.

There is no reason that the server wouldn't allow installing the free version of ESXi.

9 Posts

March 27th, 2011 00:00

I've tried ESXi 4.1u1 4.1 4.0 and 3.5 iso download from vmware and 4.1u1 from Dell but none of them seems to work for me.
And I now have so many CDs to through away.

The only thing worked for me is ESX 4.1u1, the paid version

9.3K Posts

March 28th, 2011 00:00

Weird. I have done numerous ESXi installs using Dell images and non-Dell (including VMware's) images and never really had a problem unless there was something else causing the problem.

9 Posts

March 31st, 2011 08:00

Well, it could be...that my Dell R410 doesn't have a built-in DVD-drive so I attached  a portable usb dvd drive to install esxi. Maybe esxi not compatiple with this particular usb dvd drive? I dont know.

I know that It's hardly the case but I'm going to try using a real SATA DVD drive, to see if that caused the problem...

Although I've already got my approval of the budget for esx licensing, I'm so curious about why esxi can't be installed...

1 Rookie

• 

897 Posts

March 31st, 2011 16:00

I just tried this on my R410, perc6i, (no internal DVD) had to use an external USB dvd drive and it installed fine. Just to confirm, this is the iso you used?

9 Posts

March 31st, 2011 20:00

the link you post is dell customized version 4.1u1 a02 version and yes, I've tried the iso you posted.

I've also tried Dell customized version 4.1u1, 4.1 and vmware iso 4.1u1, 4.1, 4.0...

4.1u1, 4.1, 4.0 dell or original vmware build, they all failed at the same place, with the same error msg.

they are all hang at 

Loading install.vgz.....

Booting: MBI=0x000100c0, entry=0x00400256(this entry code may change depending on versions)

and it stops, no hard disk activity no DVD activity.
ESX 4.1u1 is working fine. No problem at all. so...
my system spec
xeon 5620 X2
8GB ram
300SAS X 4 combined for a single raid-5 virtual disk
PERC 6/i firmware a12
iDRAC6 latest firmware version, and i'm sure it will not be responsible
Broadcom NetXtreme II firmware a03
system bios 1.6.3
all components firmwares are latest version
Would you please post your system bios version as well as perc 6/i idrac6 broadcom NIC network card firmware versions? if not trouble you too much...
and thank you for your help!!

1 Rookie

• 

897 Posts

April 1st, 2011 14:00

ok, first, sorry for the delay, today has been rough. Onwards!

It would be good data point to know if your ESXi disc and the external drive will work ok on another system.

ok, so I have an R410 8GB ram, (4) 600GB SAS drives in a raid 5 config, everything updated to latest on the web, bios 1.6.3, perc to A12 (6.3.0-0001) idrac v1.70 (A02) installing from a USB dvd drive since the system has no optical drive in it.  I should note that my procs are x5550 and nics are at 6.2.14 (a04)

Rather than trying to figure out whats different between our bios and idrac settings, lets start with getting them to be the same.

Before you do the below, have you tried initializing your raid setup?

Step 1 reset the bios to factory:
For the bios, go into the bios screen at post and by pressing f2, once you are in the bios, do an Alt-F (key combination), this will reset all the settings back to factory (be sure you are ok with  this piece, any changes you have made will be gone).  Since you dont have an optical drive and nothing attached to the sata ports, after doing Alt-F, go into the SATA settings and and turn Sata controller to off and port A to off (all should be off). For now, leave everything else as is. Esc, save and exit. try this install again to see if this fixed the issue. If not, lets go to step2.

Step2 reset the idrac to factory:
on a reboot, during the bootup, press Cntrl-E to enter the idrac setup screen. Go down to the Reset to default and hit Enter (warning, you will lose any settings you may have changed). The reset will take a few minutes, be patient. When it is done, try ESXi again and let us know.

. If this still fails, I would call Dell and have them investigate. perhaps ESXi doesnt like your procs.

9 Posts

April 1st, 2011 22:00

Thanks for your detailed help! They are all very good troubleshooting method which I haven't tried.

I will try your steps and see if it'll fix my problem.

and answer your question,

1. yes, i've initialized my raid-5. i've deleted the old virtual disk and create new one. i've tried raid10 and raid5. I've also tried full initialize and quick initialize. it doesn't work.

2. i've never tried usb-drive on servers which known to be good with esxi. It's a great idea i have to admit, maybe because I never thought it could be the DVD drive problem in the past. nevertheless I will test it, it's my first priority.

3. reset both bios and idrac settings. well, I have reset the bios but never for the idrac. probably because i thought esxi is nothing to do with idrac. but I will try reset and see if it fix the problem.

And, thank you again for your time and effort helping me!! Really appreciated!

9 Posts

April 3rd, 2011 23:00

Hi Raybeast2

I've tried both reset bios to factory default and reset idrac6 to the default. They don't wok for me either.
I've also tried using that usb dvd drive and the same installation CD to install on other machines with no problem at all. I've even tried them on regular desktop PCs, surely they dont have approved NIC to actually install, at least my desktop PC can pass that point and load the installation interface.

Also I've called Dell support here in China. They told me, because when I ordered the server, I didn't ask for preloaded esxi (an extra-charged service), they couldn't help me at all. Any server related matter (esxi is a server compatible matter), they said I should ask vmware for help.They can however dispatch a engineer (not a esx engineer)onsite help me for 200+ USD a day but they don't guarrantee successful.

vmware is also reluctant to provide any kind of help unless I first purchase some of their products or services. Since I've already got ESX licensing budget approved, maybe it's the only way out. And I've already using EXI evaluation for quite some time and everything is working perfectly except for once this 3 years warranteed R410's main power supply broken (3 months after purchase). Dell send a spare part and fixed the problem.

To conclude all of this, I want to thank to all of you who spend their own time and effort helping me.
Just for the record, below is some of my findings...

1. it's not because of PERC 6/i, Broadcom NetXtreme II NIC, nor because of USB-DVD drive

2. it's not because of BIOS settings or iDRAC6 settings

3. it's not because of bad image or bad CD burining. all installation materials are good.

4. ESX 4.1u1 works but ESXi 4.1u1 doesn't. I know vmware says they encourage all ESX users to migrate to ESXi

1 Message

April 6th, 2011 13:00

I had a similar issue with an R810 trying to install ESXi 4.1 U1 remotely  (I'm in PA, the server is in FL)  using iDRAC6 virtual media to mount the iso from my local laptop.  Failed every time during install.vgz.....  I also had someone local to the server mount the media with the same results!  I tried everything, but what finally resolved the issue for me was to reload the DRAC firmware (was 1.50 at the time, I've since updated to the now-latest 1.70)  using the 'Update' tab in the DRAC interface itself.  Click "Remote Access" (now changed to "iDRAC Settings" in latest release) on left pane, then "Update" on right pane, then browse to the iDRAC firmware update file (RedHat DUP IDRAC6_FRMW_LX_Rxxxxxx.BIN). It takes a while to upload and execute and I was afraid that it was going to choke on itself - seriously, how can you execute an update from within the thing you're trying to update, right? Like trying to change the tires while you're driving the car...   But eventually the update succeeded - the DRAC cycled itself, and then I was able to connect  via iDRAC virtual media and load ESXi using the same iso that was throwing the error message prior to reloading the iDRAC.  I'm not sure why this worked since there was never any indication from the DRAC that something might not be quite right with it, but it did.   Seriously, try reloading or updating the iDRAC firmware.

9 Posts

April 7th, 2011 05:00

Thanks for your help!

Although I've already updated iDRAC6 to the latest firmware 1.7 and still can't work it out.

Also, not only me, I've contacted many of my colleagues at work and they confirmed that's not only me.

some 4 set of R610s also have the same problem.

I guess is, all china market r410 and r610 have the same problem, or, let's say maybe it's intended.

When I contacted dell service, they not only cannot help they ensured me that only pre-load esxi 4.1 can fix the problem. pre-load esxi is a extra charge service when you order your server and check let dell install esxi 4.1

and check that, one of my dell vendor confirmed that too. they only recommand preload esxi dell server for those who need esxi virtulizations

No Events found!