Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 19th, 2013 17:00

what else do i need with my dell blade 1855??

Someone gave me one, pulled from a company, working, good shape, but ive no way to plug it in etc, since i dont have a rack to slide it into....i have no idea what to do with it since it is obviously not a standalone pc.....

Is there anything i can do other than to use it as a massive paperweight?

• 

6.2K Posts

July 19th, 2013 17:00

Hello teeceemadison

Is there anything i can do other than to use it as a massive paperweight?

Not really, the blade servers were not designed to function without a chassis. I won't say that it's not possible, but it would require someone to create some kind of mid-plane to power the server at a minimum. Communication to the server would also require some custom hardware to be created. I don't think anyone would bother with all that would be necessary.

I thought about buying a 9th generation chassis that was fully populated with blades. The main reasons I did not is because it requires 220v, is extremely loud, and uses a lot of electricity. Even thought the entire fully populated chassis was only $2k it wasn't worth it for me.

I suspect this item is a paper-weight or a small profit on Ebay.

Thanks

9.3K Posts

July 20th, 2013 09:00

Like Daniel said; you can't do much with a 1955 unless you have the blade chassis to put it in.

You could scavenge it for parts (CPUs, memory, drives) or sell it whole or in pieces on Ebay or so.

No Events found!