Highlighted
twehmeier
2 Bronze

PowerPathVE Guidance PPVE New install assistance & VMware vSphere

I'm reaching out for assistance with PowerPathVE. We are preparing to install and need some clarification regarding which components we need to implement PowerPathVE Served Edition with ESXi 5.5 and VSphere 5.5. I know we are going to implement the PowerPathVE Appliance but a little unclear with some things. Do I need to install PowerPathVE VMware vSphere in addition to the Appliance Server? 

If anyone can offer some guidance and tips it would be greatly appreciated. We have about 10 ESXi servers that we plan on setting up with PowerPathVE. We manage our ESXi servers via vSphere Client 5.5.

Thank you for taking a look.

Labels (1)
1 Reply
daverush
2 Iron

Re: PowerPathVE Guidance PPVE New install assistance & VMware vSphere

Hi, this is Dave from PowerPath support.

• Yes, PowerPathVE is an installed component. Multipathing takes place on the ESX nodes.
  • PowerPathVE is managed remotely, via Rtools.  Regular PowerPath commands issued as "powermt display" are issued as "rpowermt display host=HOSTNAME_OR_IP" through rtools.
  • PowerPath gets served licenses from the Appliance Server or from a standalone install of ELMS on Windows or Linux.  The appliance provides both ELMS and Rtools.
  • Just like vCenter can't manage a higher version of ESX, Rtools can't manage a higher version of PowerPathVE.  Always upgrade rtools and ELMS before upgrading PowerPath.
  • You'll want to follow the Install and Admin Guide closely, as it's got step by step instructions on how to install and configure PowerPathVE and the supporting tools.
  • The PowerPath product page is https://support.emc.com/products/1800_PowerPath-VE-for-VMware, latest documentation and downloads are always available there.
  • The PPVE 5.9 Install Guide is https://support.emc.com/docu49354_PowerPath-VE-5.9-and-Minor-Releases-for-VMware-vSphere-Installatio....

Let me know if you need anything else.

P.S. Don't forget that we have a Live Chat support option, in case you need a quick answer!

0 Kudos