Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 26th, 2013 18:00

What are the PowerPath policies and how are they used?

Could anyone tell me what the policies means, for example, co, ad, so...

1.2K Posts

policy

Available storage classes Load Balancing enabled? Failover enabled? Description

ad

(Adaptive)

invista, ess, hitachi, hpxp, hphsx

yes Yes

I/O requests are assigned to paths based on an algorithm that takes into account path load and logical device priority. With a valid PowerPath license, this policy is the default for the storage classes listed in the Available storage classes column.

co

(CLARiiON

optimization)

Clariion Yes Yes

Caution: The basic failover policy is supported only in configurations with one HBA connected to a storage system through a switch and one HBA port zoned to each SP on a CLARiiON system, or to a port on two separate FAs on a Symmetrix system. Using this policy in other configurations is not supported and may result in loss of access to data in the event of path failures. Load balancing is not in effect. I/O routing on failure is limited to one HBA and one port on each storage system interface. When a host boots, it designates one path (through one interface) for all I/O. If an I/O is issued to a logical device that cannot be reached via that path (that is, the I/O cannot reach that logical device through the device's assigned interface), the logical device is assigned to the other interface. This policy protects against CLARiiON SP failures, Symmetrix FA port failures, and back-end failures, and it allows non-disruptive upgrades to work when running PowerPath without a license key. It does not protect against HBA failures. This policy is valid only and is the default policy without a PowerPath license for the storage classes listed in the Available storage classes column. HP-UX Note: HP-UX hosts designate the first two paths to a volume for use as basic.

lb
(Least blocks)
All Yes Yes

Load balance is based on the number of blocks in pending I/Os. I/O requests are routed to the path with the fewest queued blocks, regardless of the number of requests involved.

li
(Least I/O))
All Yes Yes Load balance is based on the number of pending I/Os. I/O requests are routed to the path with the fewest queued requests, regardless of total block volume.

nr (No redirect)

symm, invista, ess, hitachi, hpxp, hphsx

No No

Note: Do not use this policy in production environments. Use only for diagnostic purposes. Neither load balancing nor path failover is in effect. If nr is set on a pseudo device and the I/O path fails, data errors can occur. If nr is set on a native device and the I/O path fails, data errors will occur. This is the default policy for the storage classes listed in the Available storage classes except symm and hphsx, on platforms without a valid PowerPath license

re
(Request)

All (PowerPath license), clariion only (PowerPath Base license)

No Yes

For native devices, this policy uses the path that would have been used if PowerPath were not installed. For pseudo devices, it uses one arbitrary path for all I/O. For all devices, path failover is in effect, but load balancing is not. This is the default policy for CLARiiON storage systems on platforms with a valid PowerPath Base license.

rr (Round robin)

All Yes Yes I/O requests are assigned to each available path in rotation.

si (StreamIO)

All Yes No

For each possible path for an I/O to a particular volume, this policy selects the same path as was selected for the previous I/O to the volume, unless the pending I/O count since the last path change exceeds the volume's threshold value. When the threshold is exceeded, the policy selects a new path based on the adaptive policy algorithm. This policy is valid only for PowerPath 5.1 SP2 and later for Linux.

so(Symmetrix optimization)

Symm Yes Yes I/O requests are routed to paths based on an algorithm that takes into account path load and logical device priority. Load is a function of the number, size, priority, and type of I/O queued on each path.
This policy is valid only for Symmetrix storage systems and is the default policy for them, on platforms with a valid PowerPath license.

6 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply. Another question: how do they work?

1.2K Posts

ad: adaptive, co: Clariion optimization, re:Request, rr: Round Robin, si: StreamIO, so: Symmetrix Optimization.

No Events found!