Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 13th, 2017 11:00

MD3000 failed-unresponsive drives

Needing to replace failed-unresponsive drives, three total, in a MD3000. My question is do I need to do the drives one at a time if they all show failed-unresponsive? Or one at a time? Also do I need to run a command to prepare the drives for replacement? Also is there a way to see how far along in the rebuilding process the drives are so I know when to replace the next drive?

Thanks in advance

• 

6.9K Posts

September 13th, 2017 14:00

Hello RiponPrinters,

Are all the drives that failed part of the same virtual disk? Also, did you have any hotspare drives configured? Are you using MDSM to manage your MD3000? What is the current version of firmware that you are at on your MD3000?

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

September 17th, 2017 06:00

Are all the drives that failed part of the same virtual disk? Yes

Also, did you have any hotspare drives configured? Yes, there were two. These are two of the three that failed.

Are you using MDSM to manage your MD3000? Yes

What is the current version of firmware that you are at on your MD3000? Firmware version:         07.35.39.64

September 17th, 2017 06:00

I should also note that two of the three failed drives were replaced and are showing "optimal" but have a red plus sign at the bottom of the drive icon? Not sure what that means?

• 

6.9K Posts

September 18th, 2017 10:00

Hello RiponPrinters,

It is best to replace the drives one at a time to ensure that there are no issues with the rebuild. It is best to give about 30-60minutes between drive replacements to ensure that the rebuild starts correctly. After all drives are replaced then you should see the red x for your hotspare drives go away & all should be optimal. If you don’t have that happen after all drives have been replaced then will need to review a support bundle to see what is going on with your MD3000i

September 18th, 2017 10:00

I'm gathering a support bundle now. How/where do I upload that zip file to?

September 18th, 2017 11:00

Attached is the support bundle.

1 Attachment

• 

6.9K Posts

September 19th, 2017 06:00

Hello RiponPrinters,

So looking at the support bundle I can see that only drive Enclosure0 slot 3 needs to be replaced. I am also noticing that you have 2 drives enclosure0 slot 1, & enclosure0 slot 5 that need to have their firmware updated. With those 2 drives once the firmware has been updated they should report correctly. Here is the link to the firmware just in case you need it. http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=T767W&fileId=3545317669&osCode=WS8R2&productCode=powervault-md3000&languageCode=en&categoryId=EH

September 19th, 2017 07:00

Sorry, none of the screen shots posted:

So I'm wondering then why do drive 0,0 and 0,9 show like the below pic in the physical disk window?

Also wondering why when I try to assign them as hot spares, 0,0 and 0,9, that they show like the below pic:

Even after assigning them as hot spares I'm unable to access the data on the enclosure.

I understand that the firmware needs updating but those two drives were never in question.

Also the recovery guru shows the below:

Drive 0,3 didn't fail until yesterday but the incomplete disk group error was there even before 0,3 failed?

Also, how am I to know what brad of drives are in the md3000 without removing the drives that need firmware updates?

• 

6.9K Posts

September 19th, 2017 10:00

Hello RiponPrinters,

Looking at your support bundle both drive 0,0 & 0,9 are not assigned to any virtual disk. Have you tried to add those drive to your disk group? I know you stated that you tried to make them a hotspare drives.

Also drive 0,3 has an impending failure and is making a lot of noise on the chain. You can use MDSM to update the firmware on the drives. You can use the read me file that is in the firmware download, to find the correct file for each drive. I use the Product ID that each drive has to match the correct file that is needed in the readme file.

September 19th, 2017 11:00

I don't know how to add those drives to my disk group. That has eluded me and I can't find any documentation that describes how to add them. If you have the command or can direct me to where in the MDSM I would find that option, that would be wonderful.

I will view the readme file again to figure out which firmware I need for each drive.

TIA

September 19th, 2017 13:00

I updated the firmware on those two drives

• 

6.9K Posts

September 20th, 2017 10:00

Hello RiponPrinters,

If you look on page 62 of the user’s guide it explains how to add drives to your disk group or virtual disk. http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_powervault/powervault-md3000_user%27s%20guide20_en-us.pdf

September 20th, 2017 10:00

I get this error when I try to add the drives based on the user's guide.

No Events found!