Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 13th, 2017 11:00

MD3000 failed-unresponsive drives

Needing to replace failed-unresponsive drives, three total, in a MD3000. My question is do I need to do the drives one at a time if they all show failed-unresponsive? Or one at a time? Also do I need to run a command to prepare the drives for replacement? Also is there a way to see how far along in the rebuilding process the drives are so I know when to replace the next drive?

Thanks in advance

• 

6.9K Posts

September 21st, 2017 14:00

Hello RiponPrinters,

Here is what will need to be done.

1. Disable Hot Spares

2. Fail discs located in enclosure0,slot 2, & enclosure0, slot 12

You will want to use the following command via SMCLI:

set physicalDisk [0,2] operationalState=failed;

set physicalDisk [0,12] operationalState=failed;

3. You want to revive the disk group. Here is the command for that.

revive diskGroup XMPie_files;

Once all the steps are done the disk group should come back online and you should have access to your virtual disk again.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

September 22nd, 2017 07:00

The diskgroup name is 1 not xmpie_files (that's the virtual disk name). I was able to set the two drives in question to a failed state but now I can't revive the disk group (see below):

October 2nd, 2017 07:00

Here's the error I get:

revive physicalDisk [0,0];
An error occurred initializing physical disk[0, 0] at line 1.
Error 410 - A physical disk operation cannot be performed because the state of t
he physical disk is inappropriate for the requested operation.
The command at line 1 that caused the error is:

revive physicalDisk [0,0];

• 

6.9K Posts

October 2nd, 2017 07:00

Hello RiponPrinters,

What you can try is to revive the drives one at a time, and see if the disk group goes to a degraded state. If the disk group goes to a degraded state after the first drive has been revived, then I would try to revive the disk group again. Here is the command to revive the physical disk.

revive physicalDisk [enclosureID,slotID]

• 

6.9K Posts

October 2nd, 2017 15:00

Hello RiponPrinters,

Did you try to revive physical disk 0,2 & 0,12 as those were the ones that we failed earlier?

October 3rd, 2017 07:00

Those drives were never in question. It was drives 0,0 and 0,9. 0,3 showed failure imminent but hasn't failed and I don't have a drive to replace it with just yet.

I'm running the command on 0,0 because that is one of the drives that will not come back on line. Keeps showing as optimal but will not rebuild.

These are Dell OEM drives but they are not behaving as such.

No Events found!