Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 25th, 2015 13:00

132T reset RMU - password

I have a 132T that has been powered down for years and now when bringing it back up it won't accept the password we had or the default admin/password combination.

Is there a way to reset it back to defaults?  I have reset the library without any luck.

• 

6.9K Posts

September 30th, 2015 14:00

Hello jlawson23,

Here is what you can do to reset the password.

From the Operator Panel of the 132T, perform the following steps:

Change the Sign-On String to Scalar 24. This is performed by selecting: More>Setup>Library>SCSI.

Power cycle the library.

Change the Sign-On String back to PV-132T.

Power cycle the library.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

November 12th, 2015 08:00

Hi DELL-Sam L,

I tried this because I was experiencing the same issue. When I complete the string change from SC24 and then back to PV132T, and attempt to look up the RMU information, I get the message "NO DEVICE". Is there something I'm missing?

I can clear the "NO DEVICE", by restarting the machine, but then the password is still locked. Please let me know if there is anything I'm missing. Thanks!

• 

6.9K Posts

November 13th, 2015 05:00

Hello TapeDriveGuy,

What you can also try is to power down the PV 132T and then remove the RMU from the unit then power it back on & let it fully boot.  Once it is booted up then power it back down and then insert the RMU again & power it back on.  That should clear logon & put it back to the defaults.  

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

September 29th, 2018 09:00

I picked up a used PV132T that seems fully operational.  I'm trying to follow the instructions to reset the RMU password by changing sign-on name.  However, there is no "More" option at the top-level menu and I cannot find any means for changing the string.

Is there any way to do this, or am I stuck with front-panel only?

September 29th, 2018 12:00

For the sake of anyone else who finds this thread:  The so-called "sign-on string" is actually SCSI inquiry setting and is reached as:

Setup --> SCSI/Fiber --> Set Inquiry --> Emulation (up/down)

That's the good news.  The bad news is that the directions at the top of the thread DO NOT WORK in terms of clearing the login. Removing the RMU, power-cycling, replacing RMU DOES NOT WORK.  If anyone can tell me how to actually clear the RMU password I will be forever in your debt.

October 1st, 2018 08:00

I tried that yesterday using the firmware from this file, but it did not work:

DELL_POWERVAULT-132T-TAPE-LI_A13_R222331.exe

I examined the firmware file in the link you posted and it's exactly the same.  Are you sure that a re-flash is supposed to reset the password?  That would be very unexpected behavior.

The real solution is for Dell to make the 'rmupswd.exe' utility available.  Any possibility I can either get my hands on that program or convince someone at your end to generate a pass code for me? 

• 

6.9K Posts

October 1st, 2018 08:00

Hello vtgearhead, One other thing that you can try is to update the firmware on the RMU, & it should reset the password back to normal once it completes. Here is the link to the firmware for your PV132T. https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=W2KRV&osCode=WNET&productCode=powervault-lto-132t Please let us know if you have any other questions.

October 1st, 2018 16:00

I found the ADIC reset utility and generated a working service password.  It seems to be the only working approach.

No Events found!