Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

November 4th, 2011 15:00

Added new Virtual Disk to MD3000, Host 2 VD mapping looks wrong.

System outline:  Dell MD3000 has been in production for a year with a single R5 disk group, and attached to 2 Xen servers.  Added a 4 drive RAID 10 today, initalized it.  When trying to add the storage repository to Xen, it continually errors out.

While troubleshooting, this caught my eye:

MAPPINGS (Storage Partitioning - Enabled (1 of 4 used))-------------------

Virtual Disk Name    LUN  RAID Controller Module  Accessible by       Virtual Disk status   
   Access Virtual Disk  31   0,1                     Host Group Hiebing  Optimal               
   1                    0    0                       Host Group Hiebing  Optimal               
   558GBR10             1    1                       Host Group Hiebing  Optimal               
   Access Virtual Disk  31   0,1                     Storage Array       Optimal          

2 questions arise from this:

-Is it legit to have 2 LUN 31 if I have 2 disk groups and 2 virtual disks?

-In one case, the Access Virtual Disk is Accessible  by the one and only host group, the one that owns the 2 raid volumes, and in the other, it's owned by the Storage Array.  Is it proper for these to differ?  If not, what can one do, as any attempt to modify an Access Virtual Disk results in a "you're not allowed to do that" type of error.

847 Posts

November 8th, 2011 13:00

Yes, this is normal.    31 should exist for Storage array as well as any most group(s).

As long as it adds access for every host / host group what are you attempting to change on the access lun?   These commands are not published,  I generally have had to request a Dell tech do them when they are wrong.

21 Posts

November 8th, 2011 14:00

We figured it out: the 2nd RAID needed to be assigned to controller 0.  After this change was made, we could format the new storage via Xen.

No Events found!