Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 3rd, 2009 07:00

BSOD while upgrading MDSM on Win2K8 x64 diskless server booting directly to MD3000i.

We have several Dell PE1950 - all have similar hardware configuration. The servers don't have any local disks but are booting directly to MD3000i through dual-port BroadCom LOM (Lan-On the-Motherboard) with iSOE (iSCSI Offload Engine). One of the servers is running Windows 2003 Server R2 SP2 x86, others - Windows 2008 Server SP2 x64; each server has 2 or 3 LUNs on different disk groups and owned by different RAID controllers mapped to it on the SAN. We have such configuration for a while - everything is working quite stable.

Recently I decided to upgrade MDSM on the servers to the latest version (v.2.1, released October 2009). First I upgraded firmware and drivers on the BroadCom LOMs to the latest versions on all the servers (didn't have any problems with that). But as to MDSM upgrade - on Win2K3 it worked without any issues but on Win2K8 server I've got a blue screen. I "played" just with one Win2K8 server - didn't try another one as I didn't have much time - all servers running business-critical applications.

What would be a safe and reliable procedure to upgrade MDSM on a diskless Win2K8 x64 server booting directly to iSCSI SAN? I appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you,

1 Message

December 16th, 2010 05:00

Hi,

Did you every get a resolution for this?  I have a similar problem:

Dell R710 running Windows Server 2003 R2 Sp2 connected to a MD3000i. Generate 6 firmware. running version 1.x of MDSM. We needed to upgrade the firmware of the MD3000i to Gen 7 so updated MDSM on the server to version 2.1.8 released April 2010 and rebooted. The server blue screen just when the logon box was displayed with the stop code 0x0000008e. If we reboot with last known good config the server boots successfully, but the services for the MDSM are missing.

This server has it's own OS disks.

Thanks,

Chris

No Events found!