Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 24th, 2012 13:00

Cleaning Issue- Part 2

Thank you for youe quick response last week. However I will like to know  why do I have to clean the drive every day. I already send a drive dump and did not find anything wrong with the drive.

Yesterday morning I took 9 tapes out of the library because they were ready for outside and I put 9 new tapes and in the afternoon I cleaned the drive. Today while doing a tape backup failed and send a notification e-mail that the drive needs to be clean so I cleaned the drive and run the tapes backup again by the way we used different media since we have this PowerVault TL2000. We used Dell, TDK. Since day one we still haven't result the everyday cleaning drive issue. I don't think that we have to clean this drive everyday. Please any suggestion, help will highly appreciated.

Note: We are using 

PowerEdge R520 Server

Windows server 2008 R2 Standard w/Service Pack 1

Microsoft System Center 2012 -Data Protection Manager

PowerVault MD3200

Thank You.!

• 

6.9K Posts

October 24th, 2012 17:00

Hello Milton,

You are correct in that you should only have to clean the drive every 100-200hrs of use.  Now you state that you have used both Dell,& TDK media and both give you the same result that you have to clean the drive every day.  I am guessing that the TL2000 is in a server room?  And doesn’t get a lot of dust in the room that would cause the drive to get dirty faster than normal.  If TL is in a server room then there could be an issue with the drive even though it only error is the normal request to clean on the drive & it could require a replacement drive. I will send you a private message & if you can provide me with your service tag then I can take a deeper look into your TL2000 & see what we can do to resolve your issue.

Let us know if have any other questions.

No Events found!