Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 1st, 2012 00:00

Combined Management of MD3000i and MD3200i

Hi Everyone,

I have an MD3000i (latest available firmware) which is managed from a dedicated management PC using out of band connections (192.168.128.101 & 192.168.128.102). I have a new MD3200i which I want to be able to manage using the same management PC via out of band connections (default management ports changed to 192.168.128.201 & 192.168.128.202).

I installed the latest version of the MDSM available for the MD3200i and that picked up the MD3000i without problem, I then connected up the MD3200i and it picked that up too, however, about a minute after the MD3200i being added, the MD3000i disappears from the MDSM and doesn't get picked up again.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can get it working? The documentation I've read indicates that it should!

Thanks,

Laurence

7 Posts

February 7th, 2012 00:00

Hi All,

It was a confilct on the original machine. I stripped off the openmanage and MD related software installed on it and reinstalled the latest versions, installing only the MDSM component of the tools, both MD3x00s were detected and and stay connected. What I think may have been causing the problem was an old MS iscsi initiator install, though I'm not really sure why.

Thanks again,

Laurence

• 

6.9K Posts

February 1st, 2012 12:00

Hello Laurence,

You can add the management of the MD3000i manually.  If you look on page 67 it walks you through how to add the storage array in manually. support.dell.com/.../MD3200i.pdf

Let us know how it goes.

7 Posts

February 1st, 2012 13:00

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the link and the advice. I tried adding the MD3000i manually, it went through the process, ending with a message saying it had been successfully added, but it never appears in the device list.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the MDSM (installing Management Station only) and without the MD3200i connected to the switch, the MD3000i is added fine and stays added when closing and reopening the MDSM and between reboots. It appears to be that soon after the MD3200i is added, the MDSM doesn't want to communicate with the MD3000i any more.

Thanks,

Laurence

44 Posts

February 2nd, 2012 19:00

Hi Laurence,

I'm not 100% sure if this is the actual resolution as it is only a management station, but you may refer to this document :

www.dell.com/.../PowerVault%20_MD3000i_MD32X0i_Coexistence_Whitepaper.pdf

If your PC is running on Windows, you would need to actually run the installation of MDSM with the Host component installed as well instead of management only to have coexistence support. And if you are running it on Linux, there is a md_coexistence_util.sh file that is located on your MD3200i resource disc that is required for coexistence support of the MD3XXX and MD32XX series.

Do let us know how it turns out, cheers!

DC Lim

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise

Please follow @DellCaresPro on Twitter: www.twitter.com/DellCaresPro

February 3rd, 2012 18:00

theSpalt  - Hey how many instances of MDSM are you running in the environment?  This program is single instance only; which means MDSM running on other workstations or servers will intercept the MD3000 array already on the network.  But yes you should be able to manage both array's from the same new MDSM Enterprise interface.

7 Posts

February 6th, 2012 01:00

Hi - had some time to do some more investigation - firstly, shannonagan, thanks for the confirmation and the suggestion,  there is only one management station on the network. DC Lim - thanks for the pointer, tried fresh install with MDSM and host component, same thing happens.

What I did try, was installing the version of MDSM which came with the MD3200i (10.75) raher than the version I downloaded (10.80) on a freshly installed machine and that does pick up both and they stay connected. So possibly, either something is changed in 10.80 (which I will install on the new machine to test) or something is conflicting on the original management PC, which I think may be more likely.

Thanks again for your help.  

Laurence

4 Posts

February 8th, 2012 05:00

. I stripped off the openmanage and MD related software installed on it and reinstalled the latest versions, installing only the MDSM component of the tools

No Events found!