Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

3 Posts

January 17th, 2019 11:00

Critical Alert Message from Dell MD3200I

I received this alert from our Dell powervault. 

Event Error Code: 2046

Event occurred: Jan 15, 2019 1:03:07 PM

Event Message: Isolation of physical disk causing consistency mismatch Event Priority: Critical Component Type: Physical Disk Component Location: Enclosure 0, Slot 6

But when I checked the storage manager for this enclosure and slot, everything is green. Disk's status is optimal and physical disk path consistency shows OK. Is this a false alarm or am I looking at this wrong? Please advise.

• 

6.9K Posts

January 17th, 2019 13:00

Hello TheHelpDeskGuy,

Was there any virtual disk or disk pool recovery done recently with the drive located in slot 6?  What is the current version of firmware that is running on your MD3200i?  if you look in the major event log are you seeing any other errors related to media scans

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

January 17th, 2019 14:00

Hello Sam L,

I am not sure if a recovery was done recently. Is there a log if a recovery was done recently that I can find? The firmware you're talking about is the RAID Controller Module firmware version, right? It's 07.84.44.60. On the major event log, I don't see any errors related to media scans. Would like me to attach a copy of the major event log here?

• 

6.9K Posts

January 18th, 2019 07:00

Hello TheHelpDeskGuy,

Can I get you to gather a support bundle from your MD3200i so that I can review it?  Here is a link on how to gather a support bundle just in case you need it.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

I will send you a private message so that you can send me the support bundle.

• 

6.9K Posts

January 18th, 2019 09:00

Hello TheHelpDeskGuy,

Thanks for the support bundle as it helps to look into your issue.  What I am seeing is that you are getting the error Isolation of physical disk causing consistency mismatch on multiple drives that are all part of virtual disk 1.  What I would do is to get a valid & test backup of the virtual disk first.  Once that is done then you will want to destroy the virtual disk and then recreate it again. Once the virtual disk has been recreated then you will want to restore the data. 

Also, since you are running a really old version of firmware I would upgrade that to the latest as well.  Here are the links to the firmware for controller, HDD, & MDSM newer version.

Controller Firmware

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=4CP5X&osCode=W12R2&productCode=powervault-md3200i

HDD/SSD Firmware

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=2DYP6&osCode=W12R2&productCode=powervault-md3200i

Resource DVD (MDSM)

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=R9G1X&osCode=W12R2&productCode=powervault-md3200i  

January 18th, 2019 10:00

Thank you, Sam. I'll let my leadership knows about this first and get approval to proceed. I'll let you know what the results are. 

I have a question, we recently had a failed hard disk on one of the slots and we replaced it with the exact HDD. Is the replaced HDD what caused this issue in the first place?

• 

6.9K Posts

January 21st, 2019 11:00

Hello TheHelpDeskGuy,

What I am seeing the drive rebuilt successfully, then a few days later is when the parity error started on your virtual disk. I would say that it is more likely running the older firmware is the cause as your drive that was replaced is seen correctly, & the firmware is newer than the other drives firmware. 

No Events found!