Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Z

October 19th, 2008 00:00

Dell part # for MD1000/MD3000 debug/password reset cable?

I've search the forum but can't see this discussed anywhere. I have a dead MD3000 that is out of warranty.  I'd be willing to buy replacement parts EMM, power supply etc but I can't figure out what the problem is. I'm trying to track down the password reset/debug cable, but can't seem to find a part # on Dell's web site.  Does anyone know the pin out of the cable or where I can get one?  

Would it work to use an old style PS/2 --> serial converter with a null modem cable, or is the debug/reset cable pinout different?

Thanks for any advice.  I'll give Dell a call on Monday, but I was hoping to work on this over the weekend if I can make up a cable myself to do some troubleshooting.

9.3K Posts

October 20th, 2008 12:00

Call Dell Powervault support.

Support on this equipment is lifetime (or at least here in the US it is). When you're out of warranty, they can't send you replacement parts, but they can work with you to see what's going on and also provide part numbers for components that may need replacing.

6 Posts

October 20th, 2008 16:00

I'll give tech support a call. 

I was able to find the cable by talking to Dell parts dept. Part # is CT109, description is "Service Kit,Assembly,Cable Input/Output,Serial,Modem".  It cost me $10.99 for the cable, $5.99 for shipping and $1.40 sales tax, for a total of $18.38.

I did play around with this over the weekend.  I could be wrong, but I don't think this cable is more than a PS/2 to Serial converter, which is what I first thought.  I tried a few different cables & connectors and nothing worked. 

September 21st, 2011 07:00

We have a similar issue and need the cable, does anyone know the pin-out of this cable or the console interface on the MD3000 or MD3000i arrays or can someone find out using a ohm meter etc. I can make a cable very easily but I can only find this cable for $100 on the internet and cant find it on Dell's website and I really don't want to pay $100 for a cable I should have received when we purchased these arrays a long time ago.

9.3K Posts

September 25th, 2011 07:00

Call Dell spare parts and ask them for a quote for the partnumber (that you found for $100). I can't imagine Dell (spare parts) would charge $100 for that cable.

As for a pin-out; maybe someone else has the equipment to figure that out.

September 28th, 2011 06:00

I finally got a cable and it works. If anyone needs the pin-out of the cable here it is below, I know after looking all over the internet I couldn't ever find it.

If looking at the end of the male PS2 end of the cable with the notch at the top and facing the pins and going clockwise starting with the pin at the top right going 1-6, here are the correlations between the DB9 end and the PS2 end. The DB9 end is a female end and has the pins numbered on the end next to each hole.

DB9-------------------PS2

2---------------------3 (RXD)

3---------------------4 (TXD)

4---------------------2 (RTS)

5---------------------5,6 (GND)

7---------------------2 (RTS)

1 Message

May 29th, 2012 21:00

This was amazing information! Incredibly useful - we would have paid for a cable but had a problem over Memorial Day weekend and had to have one NOW.  This was absolutely correct and worked perfect!!!  Make sure to follow the numbering as described in the post - it's not the "standard" PS/2 pin numbering although the DB-9 was the same.

Thanks so much!!!

If looking at the end of the male PS2 end of the cable with the notch at the top and facing the pins and going clockwise starting with the pin at the top right going 1-6, here are the correlations between the DB9 end and the PS2 end. The DB9 end is a female end and has the pins numbered on the end next to each hole.

DB9-------------------PS2

2---------------------3 (RXD)

3---------------------4 (TXD)

4---------------------2 (RTS)

5---------------------5,6 (GND)

7---------------------2 (RTS)

KEYWORDS: MD3000i password reset serial PS/2 console cable pin-out

685 Posts

May 30th, 2012 09:00

Zitsky,

The part number for the Password reset cable service kit is CT109. If you have any other questions please feel free to let me know.

1 Message

November 22nd, 2012 00:00

Hi,

I tried to make such a cable but it didn't work for me. I have my doubts that I understood the pin numbering correctly.

Would it be possible to obtain a drawing with the numbers?

9.3K Posts

November 26th, 2012 08:00

Here are 2 hits I found with Google in regards to pin-numbering for DB-9 and PS/2:

http://www.db9-pinout.com/

en.wikipedia.org/.../2_connector

16 Posts

August 14th, 2013 12:00

August 14th, 2013 13:00

Thanks JIMNIM for the great layout you provided. I've made my own adapter and cable before for this and if anyone needs one and doesn't feel comfortable trying to make one they can contact me and I can probably work something out. The cable I made is USB to Ethernet to PS/2 and I made the Ethernet to PS/2 cable for the MD3000 to go along with all of my other proprietary cables that I can just plug into my USB to Ethernet console cable that I use for routers and switches etc.

16 Posts

August 14th, 2013 13:00

PInout image above is based on post by MightyElectro, but using the correct pinout numberings for DB-9 and PS/2 standards. I've also verified that these are correct here in our lab with a PRC cable and multimeter.

16 Posts

August 14th, 2013 16:00

So you've had success w/ serial shell access via USB on these systems? I've not had the best of luck with that in the past, though I'm sure that's due to driver compatibility with some of the hardware I've seen people try...

August 14th, 2013 17:00

ive had great luck with the usb to serial cables I buy and make so far and they work well with the MD series, even with the drivers it usually just downloads from windows update and works very easily.

Cable on the far right is the PS2 to RJ45 for the MDs I have

Other adapters are APC UPS/PDUs, switches and routers, and the blue cable is a calypso systems amplifier adapter. It works perfectly for everything I've tried it on and needed to make a cable for. I've been tired of carrying around numerous cables for proprietary systems and instead made this small kit.

June 25th, 2014 10:00

This info saved me recycling an old MD3000i.  After making the cable as you described I was able to console in and reset the network information.  One tip to anyone with Gen 2 firmware (7.0 and higher I think) it will ask you for a password at the serial console, the password is supportDell.  Thanks again for this pinout.  It saved my day!

No Events found!