Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 28th, 2012 22:00

How do I reset cleaning tape counter on TL4000 web interface

I have an issue concerning the cleaning tape 50 uses counter.

The tapes come all with label "CLNU001"

Our first cleaning tape used in the "auto clean" has now reached 50 uses. I have replaced the Tape with a new cleaning tape.

So even if I insert a brand new tape it still says "Cleaning Tape Expired 51 uses"

How can I reset this on the TL4000 web interface?

I have read the manual and cannot find any information about that.

If I cannot reset this ... how do I still use the "autoclean" as currently the TL4000 does not want to use that tape.

• 

6.9K Posts

November 29th, 2012 08:00

Hello niffobti,

What you have to do is to export the media & remove it from the TL & insert the magazine or IE station and let the TL inventory all the slots.  Once the TL finishes its inventory then reinsert the media into the IE station or magazine & put it back in the unit & let it inventory and the counter should be reset.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

3 Posts

November 29th, 2012 23:00

Ok thanks ... it worked after I exported the celaning tape and did a rescan of the tapes with the web interface. Cleaning count of new tape is now set @ "0"

1 Message

August 26th, 2017 07:00

We are experiencing the same issue with our Dell PowerVault TL4000. I have 3 brand new cleaning tapes and I have tried what you call a solution up above, and it still shows the counter at 51, oh I am sorry because of the insanity of placing a NEW CLEANING tape in the drive keeps on counting this so I am up to 56 in the counter. Is the solution to by a tape library that is not a Dell branded device?

I see a lot of issues with the same error but no solution! What is the real reason this is happening, I have gone as far as following another Dell technician that claims that updating the firmware will fix this, no that did not work! What works?

• 

6.9K Posts

August 28th, 2017 12:00

Hello rmarisie,

Are you using the same barcode for you clean media or no? With a TL4000 it tracks the cleanings using the barcode label on the media. Also what backup software are you using? In some cases I have seen where the backup software, may not see that the cleaning media a new barcode & register the new barcode label.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

February 5th, 2018 07:00

I had the same issue with our TL2000, I had to unlock the cartridges (from Backup Exec 2010) that I had the reserved spot for the cleaning tape in and manually remove (do not export and import cleaning tapes) and manually install the new tape.  All our cleaning tapes have the label CLNU00L1.  After manually inserting the new cleaning tape I did an inventory from the web interface of the TL2000 and manually cleaned each drive.  After that the cleaning counter was reset and the errors were reset in the web interface.

No Events found!