Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 18th, 2011 00:00

In MD1000: What is best practice for RAID Group?

Hi,

Our respected customer buy one MD1000 with all HDD 600GB.  He wants to know what is best practive to Make Raid Group?

For example 5 Disk 1st Raid-5 Group  &  9 Disk 2nd Raid-5 Group   &  One HotSpare.......

OR  Make 1 HotSpare and remaining all in one RAID-5 group. What is the good recommended configration please guide us.

Waiting for your response.

With Thanks & Regards

Asim

9.3K Posts

January 19th, 2011 06:00

For most fileshares raid 5 will yield acceptable performance. I'd also suggest to make one drive a hotspare.

Raid 6 gives a bit more reliability at the cost of losing one more drive to the second parity. Raid 6 is a bit slower on writes than raid 5 though.

9.3K Posts

January 18th, 2011 07:00

There's no answer to this without more information:

- what do you plan to use the storage for? (e.g. file shares, database, mail server, archived data, etc)

- what is the read/write ratio?

- can you afford a significant performance hit in case of a drive failure that would last a few hours (for the hotspare to rebuild)?

69 Posts

January 18th, 2011 23:00

I appriciate and thanks for consideration of my request.  Please find below answer of your question.

1 -   This storage will use for File Share

2 -    Don’t know. (Average file share read-write ratio) 

3 -   can you afford a significant performance hit in case of a drive failure that would last a few hours (for the hotspare to rebuild)?

>  Answer is :  Yes

df   With thanks & regards, waiting for your response. 

Asim

No Events found!