Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 28th, 2014 02:00

LTO Tape 6 is not showing in Device Manager

Hi,

Recently i buy a DELL LTO 6 Tape Drive with HBA SAS 6 Gbps, i have connected and installed the driver of HBA, But tape drive is still not visible to me,

I have installed the latest driver and firmware downloaded from DELL website,

I am using Microsoft DPM 2010, for backup purpose with Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard with SP1

Anyone can help me to understand this issue

Salman

• 

6.9K Posts

October 28th, 2014 06:00

Hello Salman,

With the LTO6 drive the drivers are native to windows. So what you will need to do is to use your windows disc & have device mange check for the drivers and it should find the LTO driver for your tape drive & install it. Once that is done then you will need to reboot the server and when it comes back up you should be able to check back into device manger and see the tape drive listed. Here is a link to the user’s guide if needed. ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_powervault/powervault-lto6_User%27s%20Guide_en-us.pdf

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

4 Posts

October 28th, 2014 08:00

Hi Sam,

I tried to install after inserting the windows DVD, but nothing happened, i am able to see the HBA only.

device scan is not prompting for any hardware to be installed,

Salman

• 

6.9K Posts

October 28th, 2014 09:00

Hello Salman,

When you look into device manger are you seeing anything listed under other devices?  If not then what I would do is to reboot the server and when it scans the SAS6gb HBA see if the drive shows up or not.  If it doesn’t show up on post then there may be an issue with either the drive or the HBA.  If you do see the drive during post then let the server finish booting & see if the drive shows up in device manger.  Also what server is the LTO6 tape drive installed in?

• 

6.9K Posts

October 28th, 2014 10:00

Hello Salman,

Make sure that you also have the following hotfix installed as I came accross this from microsoft. support.microsoft.com/.../2619836

4 Posts

October 29th, 2014 02:00

Hello Sam,

I have tried on DELL PE 710 and DELL PE T110,

Yeh u are right, during boot HBA does not show any device,

Regards

Salman

• 

6.9K Posts

October 29th, 2014 06:00

Hello Salman,

So seeing as the HBA is not seeing the drive on post I would say that either the SAS cable may be bad or the SAS connection on the drive is not working correctly.  Also just to confirm that the SAS 6GB HBA is in an 8x slot & not a 4x slot?  If it is in a 8x slot then I would call in & get that drive & cable exchanged.  Make sure to have your order# so that they can do an exchange since you just purchased the tape drive.

4 Posts

November 4th, 2014 03:00

The issue was with Cable :( and after replacing its work :)

No Events found!