Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 18th, 2010 08:00

MD1000: Changing from Split to Unifified Mode.

Hi,

We currently have a MD1000 enclosure with drives in slots 7 to 14. We have a Virtual Disk that includes these drives. The enclosure is currently configured in SPLIT MODE.

Is it possible to change the Operating Mode to UNIFIED MODE by simply powering off the enclosure, moving the switch to UNIFIED and powering the enclosure back up?

Will this cause any data loss in the Virtual Disk that already exists?

Thanks.

154 Posts

January 18th, 2010 12:00

I think this post has a partial answer.

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19287228/19527671.aspx#19527671

The post above talks about going from unified to split while you want to do the reverse. The one thing to look into is the cabling. Unified mode will only use the EMM is slot 0 (EMM in slot 1 will only be used for array management in case of any failure but not for data).

I think you should be able to power down the enclosure and server, move the cable from EMM 1 to EMM 0, and power up enclosure and server. The disks groups and data should be visible. You might have to import them into the new controller. As long as you don't re-initialize the disks, you will not lose the data:)

(Disclaimer: I have not tried this out personally. Reading the note above and the topic disk migration  (pg 23) in the document "http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/md1000/wh_paper/SAS%20MD1xxx.pdf " gave me this thought)

-Mohan

1 Message

January 19th, 2011 01:00

Hello. Did you get an answer for this?

I am also looking for an answer for this. Has anyone tried this before?

1. Shutdown server

2. Shutdown MD1000

3. Switch from split to unified mode.

4. Power on the MD1000.

5. Power on server.

Is the data still exists?

154 Posts

January 20th, 2011 11:00

fadzilj,

The data will not be lost. You will have to re-import the disks to be able to see the VDs.

-Mohan.

No Events found!