Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 19th, 2009 11:00

MD3000 SMcli errors

I've been trying to muddle through the SMcli configuration of an MD3000 for the last few days and I've been consistently stymied by this issue.  I at least strongly want SMcli exclusive configuration because, obviously, the unit will be running headless and it's going to be a pain to get an X server on it and get connected.

Everything goes fine right up until the point where I try to configure host ports, then I run into this error:

create hostPort identifier="50022191a00c0500" userLabel="das-head1-0" host="das-head1" hostType="Linux";

An internal error, error code 12, has occurred.  This is possibly due to initialization problems when loading the necessary internal files.  Please check your installation of SMclient. If problems continue to persist, re-install SMclient.

SMcli failed.

The interesting twist to this is if I create ONE host port through the MD Storage Manager GUI, then try that command again, it succeeds. I've tried dumping the configuration after everything's set up through the GUI and then piping that into SMcli and that fails with the same error.  Has anyone else seen this?  Or, maybe, is a Dell engineer watching who knows what this is?

175 Posts

February 19th, 2009 12:00

The "host" parameter has to be specified when creating a host port so that the array knows what host container to put it in.

I have an alternate suggestion that greatly simplifies creating hosts and which will generally work on any configuration as host port identifiers (WWIDs), which are unique, do not have to be specified.

accept storageArray pendingTopology allHosts

This command will automatically create all of the hosts along with the associated WWIDs of each host. The only requirements are that the proper powering sequence of storage array first followed by the attached servers is followed as well as no existing host configuration (the latter is a general rule but doesn't always apply).

What happens is that on startup or restart the SMagent will push it's information to the array and the array holds it in a "pending" area until it's accepted. This SMcli command is the analogous to the GUI Configure Host Access (Automatic) operation.

February 19th, 2009 13:00

The "host" parameter has to be specified when creating a host port so that the array knows what host container to put it in.

Right, I create the host, then the create hostPorts command specifies the host.  If you remove that parameter, it fails with a different error message.

However!  Your suggestion works perfectly, than you SO much.

I'd still love to know what's causing that error, but it's much less urgent now, thanks again.

175 Posts

February 19th, 2009 17:00

Ok, let's dig into this. 

In your original post you seem to have indicated that you created the configuration through the GUI, saved the configuration into a script file (e.g. save storageArray configuration) and then played back that script file, encountering the same error.

Is this correct?

February 19th, 2009 19:00

Incidentally, the method you described earlier worked perfectly the first time I tried it, and then later while making sure the process was repeatable, I cleared the storage array config, re-kickstarted the management host, ran through the process again, and it didn't work.  Told me there were no pending host topology changes to apply.  I think that's related to the array being managed via out of band management rather than the in band manager, so there's no host topology being pushed from the agent, but I'm really not sure.

February 19th, 2009 19:00

Yes, that's correct.  I created a configuration via the GUI identical to the one I've been trying to create via SMcli, saved the configuration out, cleared the configuration, then played back the saved config and got the same error.

I've, frankly, tried about every combination I can think of to expose the difference between how it's behaving in the GUI and how it's behaving in the CLI and haven't been able to find anything yet.

February 20th, 2009 06:00

Right.  I'm in the process of rekicking the host and trying it again, but the information didn't appear to be pushed from SMagent when I tried it yesterday.  Like I said, the error I got said there were no pending topology changes to be accepted.  We'll see how it flies this time through.

175 Posts

February 20th, 2009 06:00

>  I cleared the storage array config, re-kickstarted the management host, ran through the process again, and it didn't work.

The process I described is independent of how the storage array is being managed.

Going back to the process, "What happens is that on startup or restart the SMagent will push it's information to the array and the array holds it in a "pending" area until it's accepted.". 

To clarify, the SMagent is on the host server, so to reproduce this process needs to be re-kicksarted. This typically is only applicable during initial deployment and following the recommended power-on process will.

175 Posts

February 20th, 2009 07:00

> I've, frankly, tried about every combination I can think of to expose the difference between how it's behaving in the GUI and how it's behaving in the CLI and haven't been able to find anything yet.

Dave - I've sent you a request. Please review.

November 24th, 2009 17:00

Hi, did you get to the bottom of this? I am getting exactly the same problem when trying to reply configuration file.

November 25th, 2009 08:00

Yeah, it sounds like either SMAgent isn't starting properly or if it's starting, it's not able to talk to the array.  I've found that the installation process is pretty sensitive so you want to make sure that the SAS 5/e driver and the linux multi-path driver are being properly compiled and installed, it has to do both steps and if one of them fails with an error it isn't obvious that it's failed.  I also had to symlink /usr/src/kernels/ / to /lib/modules/ /build to get the driver modules to compile properly, so you may want to look into whether you need to do that.

There's a command to query SMAgent for devices it knows about, though I don't remember the syntax offhand.

The problem with creating the hostPort is actually a bug in SMcli, the Dell engineering team is aware of it, I imagine it'll be fixed in a later release.

This actually turned out to be a multi-part problem.  Which part are you seeing problems with?  Getting the host topology pushed from SMAgent or trying to explicitly set the host topology?

I think in both parts. When I  execute configuration file, it stops with error code 12 at the line which creates host port

create hostPort host="oss07" userLabel="oss070" identifier="50024e815b346f00" interfaceType=SAS;

So i tried suggestion from this forum to use this command

accept storageArray pendingTopology allHosts

but it just told me there were no pending host topology changes to apply.

When using SMclient (StorageManager) I can configure host access only manually. The automatic host access configuration doesn't detect any hosts, so it could be a problem with pushing host topology from  SMAgent.

Do you have any suggestions how to overcome this problems?

November 25th, 2009 09:00

I didn't notice any problems when I built  the driver and installed SM software.
I can actually use StorageManager in-bound communication (communicating with an array over SAS cable) to access the array.
Is there maybe a good method I could use to check if SMagent can communicate with the array?

175 Posts

November 25th, 2009 10:00

Good. Is there a host currently configured on MD3000? 

Can you post the host topology section of the storage array profile?

November 25th, 2009 10:00

SMdevices
Dell Modular Disk Storage Manager Devices, Version 10.01.A6.01
Built Mon Sep 22 09:20:05 CDT 2008
Copyright (C) 2006 - 2008  Dell Inc. All rights reserved.

(/dev/sg2) [Storage Array dell04, Virtual Disk Access, LUN 31, Virtual Disk ID <6002219000acb8d0000022b44b0cf0ec>]
  (/dev/sg3) [Storage Array dell04, Virtual Disk Access, LUN 31, Virtual Disk ID <6002219000acb8d0000022b44b0cf0ec>]

No Events found!