Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 19th, 2009 11:00

MD3000 SMcli errors

I've been trying to muddle through the SMcli configuration of an MD3000 for the last few days and I've been consistently stymied by this issue.  I at least strongly want SMcli exclusive configuration because, obviously, the unit will be running headless and it's going to be a pain to get an X server on it and get connected.

Everything goes fine right up until the point where I try to configure host ports, then I run into this error:

create hostPort identifier="50022191a00c0500" userLabel="das-head1-0" host="das-head1" hostType="Linux";

An internal error, error code 12, has occurred.  This is possibly due to initialization problems when loading the necessary internal files.  Please check your installation of SMclient. If problems continue to persist, re-install SMclient.

SMcli failed.

The interesting twist to this is if I create ONE host port through the MD Storage Manager GUI, then try that command again, it succeeds. I've tried dumping the configuration after everything's set up through the GUI and then piping that into SMcli and that fails with the same error.  Has anyone else seen this?  Or, maybe, is a Dell engineer watching who knows what this is?

175 Posts

November 25th, 2009 10:00

You can run SMdevices from the util directory on the host server and it should list a LUN 31 for each path the server has to the array. This is the access LUN which is automatically configured and used for in-band management including the SMagent.

Provide the output and we'll see where to go from there.

November 25th, 2009 10:00

PROFILE FOR STORAGE ARRAY: dell04 (11/25/09 7:50:40 PM)

MAPPINGS (Storage Partitioning - Enabled (0 of 4 used))-------------------

Virtual Disk Name    LUN  RAID Controller Module  Accessible by      Virtual Disk status 
   Access Virtual Disk  31   0,1                     Host Group dell04  Optimal             
   Access Virtual Disk  31   0,1                     Storage Array      Optimal             

TOPOLOGY DEFINITIONS                                                  

STORAGE ARRAY                                                      
         Default type:     Windows Server 2003/Server 2008 Non-Clustered 
         Host Port:        50:02:21:91:b3:08:98:04                       
         Host Port:        50:02:21:91:b3:08:98:00                       
         Host Port:        50:02:4e:81:5b:34:6f:00                       
         Host Port:        50:02:4e:81:5b:34:6f:04                       

Default Group                                                   

Host Group:       dell04                                        
            Host:          oss07                                         
               Host type:  Linux                                         
            Host:          oss08                                         
               Host type:  Linux                                         

NVSRAM HOST TYPE DEFINITIONS

NOTE: The following indexes are not used: 3 - 15

HOST TYPE                                      AVT STATUS  ASSOCIATED INDEX 
   Linux                                          Disabled    1                
   Windows Server 2003/Server 2008 Clustered      Disabled    2                
   Windows Server 2003/Server 2008 Non-Clustered  Disabled    0 (Default)      

175 Posts

November 25th, 2009 12:00

Okay, let's get to the core of what you would like to do.

Your original post indicated that you were trying to use the SMcli to create hosts on the array. As your array is already configured with the host topology what are you attempting to do and why?

November 25th, 2009 13:00

Actually the problem here is the configuration of a host access. I am trying to configure host access by  mapping HBA hostPorts to a host using SMcli. However as Dave mentioned earlier there seem to be a bug in SMcli which doesn't allow manually create and map a hostPort (error code 12). Other way of doing that (which may or may not work) would be by allowing the array to configure host access automatically by using this command line:

"accept storageArray pendingTopology allHosts"

However this command claims that there is no pending host topology to apply.

I don't understand why no hosts are detected by the array.

I have also tried to remove all manually configured hosts, restart SMagent software on the hosts and configure hosts access automatically but still no go.

Of course this is not a show stopper. I still can configure it by hand using SMclient GUI but it is labours if doing it on many arrays and it requires X-server

I really would like to get to the bottom of this

175 Posts

November 25th, 2009 13:00

If I understand correctly you want to be able to add a host to an array by running a SMcli command on that actual host as compared to having a dedicated management station from which the host can be added. Correct any points that are incorrect.

What version of Linux are you using?

How did you create  the hosts on the array that are listed in the storage array profile?

November 25th, 2009 14:00

I use SMcli on a management station. Management station and hosts connected to the array are running RHEL4

I created hosts using these command lines

// Creating Host Topology
show "Creating Host Group dell04.";
create hostGroup userLabel="dell04";

show "Creating Host oss07 with Host Type Index 1 on Host Group dell04.";
// This Host Type Index corresponds to Type Linux
create host userLabel="oss07" hostType=1 hostGroup="dell04";

show "Creating Host oss08 with Host Type Index 1 on Host Group dell04.";
// This Host Type Index corresponds to Type Linux
create host userLabel="oss08" hostType=1 hostGroup="dell04";

At this point I would like to map HBA port to a host by its WWN

create hostPort host="oss07" userLabel="oss070" identifier="50024e815b346f00" interfaceType=SAS;

However execution of above line gives an error in SMcli

My understanding is that above can be accomplished by this command line:

accept storageArray pendingTopology allHosts

However it seems that storage array doesn't has any pending topology to apply.

I also tried above commands directly from the hosts connected to the array but there is no difference.

175 Posts

November 25th, 2009 15:00

Got it.

"accept storageArray pendingTopology allHosts" should absolutely work however the same hosts can't already exist on the array. 

Do this:

- remove the host group and the two hosts from the array, ensure that no hosts are configured in the storage array profile

- stop and then start SMagent on both host servers

- execute "accept storageArray pendingTopology allHosts"

BTW, so that you are aware a host group is only used when LUNs are shared in a clustered environment. 

November 25th, 2009 17:00

Unfortunately it didn't work. I think that for some reason SMagents do not push the host information to the array.

BTW shared LUNs are exactly what I need.

175 Posts

November 27th, 2009 11:00

If the steps are followed exactly and the result is not correct then it's a configuration problem not a process one.

I would update all components to the latest supported configuration for the release of RHEL 4 you're using, reference the support matrix at:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/md3000/en/supmatrx/Sup_Matx.pdf

If you're already at the latest version or if the behavior is the same after the update then I would recommend that you call Dell Support.

No Events found!