dave.lawson
1 Copper

Re: MD3000 SMcli errors

This actually turned out to be a multi-part problem.  Which part are you seeing problems with?  Getting the host topology pushed from SMAgent or trying to explicitly set the host topology?

0 Kudos
WojciechTurek
1 Copper

I think in both parts. When I  execute configuration file, it stops with error code 12 at the line which creates host port

create hostPort host="oss07" userLabel="oss070" identifier="50024e815b346f00" interfaceType=SAS;

So i tried suggestion from this forum to use this command

accept storageArray pendingTopology allHosts

but it just told me there were no pending host topology changes to apply.

When using SMclient (StorageManager) I can configure host access only manually. The automatic host access configuration doesn't detect any hosts, so it could be a problem with pushing host topology from  SMAgent.

Do you have any suggestions how to overcome this problems?

0 Kudos
dave.lawson
1 Copper

Yeah, it sounds like either SMAgent isn't starting properly or if it's starting, it's not able to talk to the array.  I've found that the installation process is pretty sensitive so you want to make sure that the SAS 5/e driver and the linux multi-path driver are being properly compiled and installed, it has to do both steps and if one of them fails with an error it isn't obvious that it's failed.  I also had to symlink /usr/src/kernels/<kernel version>/ to /lib/modules/<kernel version>/build to get the driver modules to compile properly, so you may want to look into whether you need to do that.

There's a command to query SMAgent for devices it knows about, though I don't remember the syntax offhand.

The problem with creating the hostPort is actually a bug in SMcli, the Dell engineering team is aware of it, I imagine it'll be fixed in a later release.

0 Kudos
WojciechTurek
1 Copper

I didn't notice any problems when I built  the driver and installed SM software.
I can actually use StorageManager in-bound communication (communicating with an array over SAS cable) to access the array.
Is there maybe a good method I could use to check if SMagent can communicate with the array?

0 Kudos
dzenz
3 Argentium

You can run SMdevices from the util directory on the host server and it should list a LUN 31 for each path the server has to the array. This is the access LUN which is automatically configured and used for in-band management including the SMagent.

Provide the output and we'll see where to go from there.

Dave

0 Kudos
WojciechTurek
1 Copper

SMdevices
Dell Modular Disk Storage Manager Devices, Version 10.01.A6.01
Built Mon Sep 22 09:20:05 CDT 2008
Copyright (C) 2006 - 2008  Dell Inc. All rights reserved.

<n/a> (/dev/sg2) [Storage Array dell04, Virtual Disk Access, LUN 31, Virtual Disk ID <6002219000acb8d0000022b44b0cf0ec>]
  <n/a> (/dev/sg3) [Storage Array dell04, Virtual Disk Access, LUN 31, Virtual Disk ID <6002219000acb8d0000022b44b0cf0ec>]

0 Kudos
dzenz
3 Argentium

Good. Is there a host currently configured on MD3000? 

Can you post the host topology section of the storage array profile?

Dave

0 Kudos
WojciechTurek
1 Copper

PROFILE FOR STORAGE ARRAY: dell04 (11/25/09 7:50:40 PM)

MAPPINGS (Storage Partitioning - Enabled (0 of 4 used))-------------------

Virtual Disk Name    LUN  RAID Controller Module  Accessible by      Virtual Disk status 
   Access Virtual Disk  31   0,1                     Host Group dell04  Optimal             
   Access Virtual Disk  31   0,1                     Storage Array      Optimal             

TOPOLOGY DEFINITIONS                                                  

STORAGE ARRAY                                                      
         Default type:     Windows Server 2003/Server 2008 Non-Clustered 
         Host Port:        50:02:21:91:b3:08:98:04                       
         Host Port:        50:02:21:91:b3:08:98:00                       
         Host Port:        50:02:4e:81:5b:34:6f:00                       
         Host Port:        50:02:4e:81:5b:34:6f:04                       

Default Group                                                   

Host Group:       dell04                                        
            Host:          oss07                                         
               Host type:  Linux                                         
            Host:          oss08                                         
               Host type:  Linux                                         

NVSRAM HOST TYPE DEFINITIONS

NOTE: The following indexes are not used: 3 - 15

HOST TYPE                                      AVT STATUS  ASSOCIATED INDEX 
   Linux                                          Disabled    1                
   Windows Server 2003/Server 2008 Clustered      Disabled    2                
   Windows Server 2003/Server 2008 Non-Clustered  Disabled    0 (Default)      

0 Kudos
dzenz
3 Argentium

Okay, let's get to the core of what you would like to do.

Your original post indicated that you were trying to use the SMcli to create hosts on the array. As your array is already configured with the host topology what are you attempting to do and why?

Dave

0 Kudos
WojciechTurek
1 Copper

Actually the problem here is the configuration of a host access. I am trying to configure host access by  mapping HBA hostPorts to a host using SMcli. However as Dave mentioned earlier there seem to be a bug in SMcli which doesn't allow manually create and map a hostPort (error code 12). Other way of doing that (which may or may not work) would be by allowing the array to configure host access automatically by using this command line:

"accept storageArray pendingTopology allHosts"

However this command claims that there is no pending host topology to apply.

I don't understand why no hosts are detected by the array.

I have also tried to remove all manually configured hosts, restart SMagent software on the hosts and configure hosts access automatically but still no go.

Of course this is not a show stopper. I still can configure it by hand using SMclient GUI but it is labours if doing it on many arrays and it requires X-server

I really would like to get to the bottom of this

0 Kudos