Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 15th, 2013 15:00

MD3000 Unreadable sectors detected

I have an issue in Dell MDSM (Modular Disk Storage Manager), which reported unreadable sectors detected. In MDSM I went to the Support tab and chose gather support information in order to save the support information to a zip file on the server running MDSM.

Inside this zip file was a file called unreadableSectors.txt. This file showed this:

Virtual Disk  LUN  Accessible By  Date/Time            Virtual Disk LBA  Physical Disk Location  Physical Disk LBA  Failure Type 
 Storage       1   Host D9VM2950  6/25/13 12:49:49 AM    0x5ae76c9a       Enclosure 0, Slot 15    0xf26929a          Logical      
 Storage       1   Host D9VM2950  6/25/13 12:49:33 AM    0x5ae76d9a       Enclosure 0, Slot 10    0xf26929a          Physical

When I use the SMcli and runthe command: clear allVirtualDisks unreadableSectors , the cursor seems to be waiting for another command?

I would like to clear these errors so I can reboot the MD3000 to see which physical disk(s) is or are having an issue. I then plan to fail the problematic disk with the SMcli command: set physicalDisk [0,x] operationalState=failed command, let my hot spare take over, and then replace the failed drive(s).

Any help is greatly appreciated. This is an older MD3000 and is out of Dell support.

22 Posts

July 15th, 2013 16:00

PROFILE FOR STORAGE ARRAY: VSTORE01 (Mon Jul 15 15:40:27 PDT 2013)

CONTROLLERS------------------------------

Number of RAID controller modules: 2

RAID Controller Module in Enclosure 0, Slot 0

Current configuration                                      

Firmware version:         07.35.39.64                    

Appware version:       07.35.39.64                    

Bootware version:      07.35.39.64                    

NVSRAM version:           N133X-735890-005    

685 Posts

The commands will vary depending on if you have a the 1st or 2nd gen firmware. What Firmware level are you currently running on the MD3000 and I can verify the syntax that should be used for the commands to do what you are needing.

22 Posts

I just ran it again and it shows this:

Virtual Disk  LUN  Accessible By  Date/Time            Virtual Disk LBA  Physical Disk Location  Physical Disk LBA  Failure Type  

Storage       1    Host D9VM2950  6/25/13 12:49:49 AM  0x5ae76c9a      Enclosure 0, Slot 9     0xf26929a          Logical      

Storage       1    Host D9VM2950  6/25/13 12:49:33 AM  0x5ae76d9a    Enclosure 0, Slot 10    0xf26929a          Physical      

Does this indicate that the fault is located in the drive in slot 10 (Physical)?

685 Posts

July 15th, 2013 17:00

It does look like there is a Physical disk failure in slot 10. When you are looking in MDSM under the physical drives what does the status show for HDD 10? If it is failed then the drive you had configured as a Hot Spare (if you had one) should  rebuild into the array if it has not already.

22 Posts

July 16th, 2013 09:00

It shows the status of HDD 10 as optimal, as are all the drives in that array. I replaced that drive about a week ago on July 8th, I ran the SMcli command: clear allVirtualDisks unreadableSectors and then ran the Recheck in the MDSM Recovery Guru with the same results. The Recovery Guru has a line about clearing the unreadable sectors log. How do I do that? Also, if I go to the Support tab in MDSM and then Advanced Support Tasks and open View Event Log, I see a lot of entries going back 3 years. Can I clear this log so I can monitor any new entries when I reboot the MD3000? Thanks again for your help with this.

685 Posts

July 16th, 2013 10:00

After doing some further digging it is looking like you are experiencing a potential puncture in the array. I would greatly advise that you run a backup of the data because it looks like on 6/25/13 there was some kind of data loss. Once you get the backup complete then it would be best if we can get a ticket opened with phone support as they will be able to dig a little deeper in the puncture as to what could have caused it. Even though it is out of warranty they should still provide best effort support.

22 Posts

July 16th, 2013 15:00

Well, that makes me a bit more nervous, another problem I have is I am unable to get my Backup Exec to backup to tape, LTO5. Fortunately there isn't any business critical data stored, mostly tier 2. My MD3000 has 2 RAID5 Arrays, the 1st is made up of 6 300GB 15KRPM SAS Drives with a Global Hot Spare. The 2nd is made up of 7 1TB 7.5KRPM SAS Drives. I believe my problem is with the latter, When I look at the activity of the array with the 1TB drives it looks like they are trying to rebuild? When I look at the MDSM and the Disk Groups and Virtual Disks I can see there is something wrong, I wish I could send you a quick screenshot, but the RAID5 Array of the 1TB drives is showing a full disk of 4.546TB and a partial disk with "Free Capacity" of 931.3 GB of space?? I will try to get a hold of Dell tomorrow as I need to run for an appointment. Thanks again.

22 Posts

July 17th, 2013 16:00

Well I guess I am SOL on this. I bought this Dell MD3000 a few years ago from a Canadian company that was going out of business. I called Dell support like Kenny suggested, Dell support transferred me to Customer Service, who transferred me to Canadian Customer Service and was told that since I couldn't remember the name of the company I bought it from, they couldn't help with any information or provide any support for my MD3000. So what should I do, besides tossing it in e-waste? I just need a little guidance, rebuild the array? rebuild both arrays? Any help is really appreciated.

25 Posts

July 17th, 2013 16:00

Do you have any where you can backup to disc?  It might be worth investing in some space for peace of mind.

685 Posts

July 17th, 2013 19:00

I am very sorry about that. If you weren't able to do the International Tag Transfer of Ownership then what I would recommend would be to make sure all of your data is backed up to an external device. To resolve the issue of a puncture in the array what you would want to do is rebuild the array. What I recommend is if you currently have a RAID 5 after you delete the VD, create a RAID 0 using all drives and then delete it as well. That will ensure all metadata is erased and will not transfer. Then you can create the RAID type that you actually want on the array. Once the RAID is configured then you will be able to do a restore to get all of the data back on the array. I hope this gets you going in the right direction.

No Events found!