Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 29th, 2007 17:00

MD3000 with RH EL4 Installation Assistance

Hi, we recently purchased an MD3000 with a 2950 server to be used as an Oracle DB server for internal development. I successfully loaded EL4 and the MD3000 drivers along with the most recent updates using YUM. Everything seemed fine as the system identified the MD3000 as sdc, sdd, sde, and sdf. Well when I rebooted the server I notice that now the devices are sda, sdb, sdc and sdd, which as you can imagine causes lots of errors during bootup? Has anyone run into this issue? Why ANY system would discover attached devices before it's own internal seems odd to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

104 Posts

May 30th, 2007 04:00

By default the modprobe.conf will have the megasas alias with a lower number then the megraid_sas alias. Make it so the megaraid_sas has the lower number and remake the initrd with these changes. Then on boot it will enumerate the luns from the raid controller first, then the luns connected to the sas controller (from the md3000) second.

Also are you connecting the 2950 to the md3000 using one sas controller or two ? If you are connecting with two for redundent paths to the md3000 you will want to install the RDAC software. The RDAC package will be in the 2950 in the /opt/dell/mdstoragemaner folder. This file will only be there if you have installed atleast the agent portion of the md3000 software on the 2950.This file will include all the instructions on how to install it. Also, If you received any buffer i/o errors as listed in this link: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=2AF130C04FB796FFE040A68F5B2870AA&cs=  you will need to install the RDAC package.

regards,
cjtompsett

3 Posts

May 30th, 2007 18:00

Hi cjtompsett, I went through your suggestions and I am so happy to report that your information was EXTREMELY useful and gave me the exact information that I needed. It truly is a shame that Dell does not have this type of information anywhere in their documentation (or easily findable!). Thanks again for the assist!
No Events found!