Highlighted
AndrewSmith1
1 Copper

MD3000i Hot spare

Jump to solution

Hi,

I currently have 6xNearline SAS 750GB drives in my MD3000i. I need more performance so i will be adding

2xRAID 1 arrays running on 15K SAS disks. These will be seperate RAID arrays obviously, so my question is do I need 2xHot Spares or can 1 physical disk be a hot spare for the two arrays?

Thanks

Andrew.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: MD3000i Hot spare

Jump to solution

When you have multiple arrays configured in the MD3000i as long as the hot spare is configured as a global hot spare, and it is larger enough that is can be used in either array, then when a drive fails that hot spare will rebuild in its place. Below is the link for the user guide. If you go to page 33 it talks about the hot spares and explains the global hot spare process.

support.dell.com/.../HOMA00MR.pdf

Let us know how it goes.

Kenny K.

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Re: MD3000i Hot spare

Jump to solution

When you have multiple arrays configured in the MD3000i as long as the hot spare is configured as a global hot spare, and it is larger enough that is can be used in either array, then when a drive fails that hot spare will rebuild in its place. Below is the link for the user guide. If you go to page 33 it talks about the hot spares and explains the global hot spare process.

support.dell.com/.../HOMA00MR.pdf

Let us know how it goes.

Kenny K.

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

View solution in original post