renatoso
1 Copper

MD3000i MPIO Drivers in Hyper-V Server R2 standalone

For install the MD3000i MPIO Drivers in Windows Hyper-V R2 standalone.

install miocpl utility.

ocsetup MultipathIo /norestart

copy the DSMDrivers directory from a different windows 2008 x64 installation of this driver.

from hyper-v R2 command prompt start mpiocpl -- tab DSM install --- DSM inf

install the driver from the directory where you have copyed the driver, md3driver.inf

now restart. the mpio for MD3000i is ready.

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Dev Mgr
5 Iridium

Re: MD3000i MPIO Drivers in Hyper-V Server R2 standalone

Why not just install the software from the MD3000i CD? The host part is the minimum required part and only takes 8MB in disk space.

Member since 2003

0 Kudos
renatoso
1 Copper

Try.

The setup in the CD Root don't start in a enviroment without the GUI. you can start only the exe SM......exe inside the windows directory

The exe, besides, is not compatible with Hyper-V R2 and not install the mpio driver but only the DSM management software. Also if you choiche the full installation.

if you have tryed it please explain what version did you have used.

By

Renato

0 Kudos
Dev Mgr
5 Iridium

Hyper-V R2 is beta/RC.

Till it's released and Dell releases a new CD with updated drivers, there probably won't be a properly working MPIO driver for this OS to work with the MD3000/MD3000i.

I wouldn't count too much on failover to work properly in your setup. In other words; don't use beta/RC software for production purposes. If it holds out and you're only running it to test it out, failover won't be that important anyway, so it doesn't matter too much.

Member since 2003

0 Kudos
whoishomer
1 Copper

Hey,

When I follow these directions it adds several 19MB drives that shouldn't be there.  Is there some way to hide or remove these?

I notice the LUN shows as -1 when installed on a Windows 2008 server using the install CD, but when using your method it gets a valid LUN and adds a 19MB drive...

0 Kudos
Dev Mgr
5 Iridium

Dell just released a new CD for the MD3000 and MD3000i that adds support for Windows 2008 R2. Are you using that CD?

Member since 2003

0 Kudos
whoishomer
1 Copper

Yes, that CD does not support Hyper V Server 2008 R2

0 Kudos
mrokkam
3 Argentium

As per their support matrix, Dell will not be supporting Windows Hyper-V Server 2008 R2. This is a separate stripped down version of the OS that is available for free from Microsoft. One can always purchase windows 2008 R2 (Enterprise, Standard, etc) and then load Hyper-V on that and that is OK.

-Mohan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
glate
1 Copper

The support matrix says that "Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Server Core Standard and Enterprise" are supported.

Hyper-V Server is basically the same thing as Core. Can anyone confirm that the installer acts differently on Core than it does on Hyper-V server?

I've got the latest MD Storage Manager (2.1.66)  installed on Hyper-V server but still no MPIO or Host options during install.

0 Kudos
renatoso
1 Copper

Install the latest MPIO (from host choice) in a full windows server 2008 also R2 and then copy the installed DSMDrivers directory in the standalone Hyper-V R2.

From mpiocpl you can install the driver (md3dsm.inf)   from DSM tab

Seam to be work but i think it is not supported and i don't know why

Bye

renato

0 Kudos