Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 10th, 2009 08:00

MD3000i Management Port Issue.

Hello,

I'm trying to configure a newly purchased MD3000i and have run into a problem with not being able to connect to the

management ports.

My setup is as follows:

I'm using a DELL PowerConnect 5424 iSCSI switch.

The host is running Windows 2008 Server Service Pack 1 64bit OS.

The MD3000i is using it's default IP settings as there is no DHCP assignment.

When I say default IP settings I mean the following:

Raid 1 controller: Port 0 = 192.168.130.101

Raid 2 Controller: Port 0 = 192.168.130.102

Management Port 0= 192.168.128.101

Management Port 1 = 192.168.128.102

The host is set up with 2 NIC cards 1 for the 192.168.130 subnet and 1 setup for the 192.168.128 subnet.

I can ping both Raid controller cards with no problem.

I'm not sure however if I should expect a reply to a ping from the Management ports.

In any event when I run the MDSM software no managed devices are found.

Thanks for your time.

847 Posts

June 10th, 2009 10:00

You should be able to ping them.

I left my iSCSI ports at default as well, but it would be the rarest install ever to be able to leave the management ports on their default subnet.    The managemnet ports have to be on your lan subnet period.

Your iSCS network should have two deciated subnets to work properly.   both controller port zero's on the same subnet and both controller port 1's on the same yet different subnet.  This means two unmanaged switches, or proper Vlans setup on a managed switch.

3 Posts

June 10th, 2009 12:00

Thanks for the reply.
Since I have one of the NIC cards on the host set with a static IP in the same subnet as the management ports I was expecting a reply from  the management ports but as I say there's none...
I've even had a laptop connected directly to one of the management ports using a static IP on the laptop in the same subnet as the management ports but nothing...

The same test was done on one of the default Raid controller ports and it replies back with no problem.
It almost appears to me that the Management IP's are not set to their default settings but the documentation says if no DHCP assignment is given then they will revert back to their default settings...

As far as the two dedicated subnets for redundancy purposes I understand that and as soon as I can make the connection with the management ports I'll use the MDMS to proceed with the configuration but until that connection can be made I can't proceed any further.
So you are able to ping your management ports correct?

3 Posts

June 10th, 2009 13:00

This unit was bought from a third party and may well have had a static IP assigned to it.
I will contact the 3rd party and see if they in fact assigned a static IP's to the Management ports.

If they haven't then I will need to contact Dell.

Thanks for your time!

847 Posts

I am able to ping my management ports just fine.  They have a static IP on the subnet as my lan and plugged into my normal lan switches.

This was new?     The ports should be OK.    Now if it wasn't new the previous owners may have put some unknown static IP address on them.

At his point,  I think you will have to install MSDM on something that has in-band management to the iSCSI netowkr to figure it out.

I think there is a way to reset the controllers,  but I'd rather let the Dell guys tell you how to do it.

154 Posts

One other thing is that the DHCP time-out is not very short. So, it might take a while for the default IP addresses to kick in (~5 mins at the most I would guess). Just one other thing to look for.

-Mohan.

No Events found!