Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 29th, 2011 17:00

MD3200 APC Smart 2200

Hi everyone

I can't find any usefull information about graceful shutdown MD3200. I have APC Smart 2200 with network management card and I was wondering how can i configure MD3200 to graceful shutdown after power lost.

It will be very weird if there is no way to do this. So what is going on with all data on the storage when power lost and device shutdown suddenly.

57 Posts

November 29th, 2011 21:00

I'm nowhere near an expert on this ... but I would recommend you focus on getting your VMs and your ESX hosts to shut down gracefully ... if they do that, then you can leave the MD3200 to manage itself ... as soon as the disk load comes off it due to the ESX hosts shutting down, it should be able to flush all data to disk all by itself and then there's nothing else to worry about?

I've had to shutdown our MD3200 a couple of times.  I just shut down the VMs and ESXi hosts ... wait a couple of minutes ... then pull the power cables out of the MD3200.

EDIT:  I think there are options in MD Storage Manager software which can formally prepare the MD3200 for transport, so these would presumably tell all the HDDs to retract their heads and flush cache to disk, but I've never used this facility myself.  Plus I doubt that you'd be able to get the APC to run MD Storage Manager ...

8 Posts

November 30th, 2011 00:00

I'm going to use two hosts with XenServer connected to this storage. Of course shutdown all vm and hosts won't be any problem.

Thank You for the clue

No Events found!