MikePatriot
1 Nickel

MD3200i questions on VLANs and iSCSI

Hello Dell team,

I am deploying a Dell PV MD3200i. 

There are two controllers and each controller has 4 iscsi ports and one mgt port.

Currently I have all the iSCSI ports assigned to my Storage VLAN.  I was not able to get this to work using the Advanced NIC settings and assigning it to the VLAN and then on the switch make the Port a Tagged port for that VLAN.

I was able to get it to work by removing the VLAN setting on the PV MD3200i and untagging the port.

However after reading through the manual it is suggested that each NIC be on its own VLAN?  Why is this preferred over a single Storage VLAN?

The next part I am uncertain about is on my Windows server I have configured the iSCSI initiator and connected to all 8 Ports.  I will be using the drive to send VEEAM backups to.  When I go into the Disk Manager I see an individual drive for every NIC.  If I connect to a single drive will I only be sending backups over that link?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Re: MD3200i questions on VLANs and iSCSI

Hello MikePatriot,

Here is our deployment guide which has our best practice for how to setup your MD3200i.  https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/common/powervault-md3200i_deployment%20guide_en-us.pdf

It is best to have each port in its own vlan for performance.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

DELL-Sam L
Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos