Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

3 Posts

January 14th, 2022 03:00

MD3260i performance tuning.

Hi there, 

I have an MD3260i we are setting up as a Backup repository. It is attached to a Windows 2019 server virtual machine via iSCSI direct from the Windows server. We're having performance issues with writes to the disks provided by the MD3260i, such that we get about 17MBytes/Sec write, but 400 MBytes/sec read. 

We have Jumbo frames enabled end-to-end, and the Disk Group on the MD is a Raid10 group. Are there more specific settings I can tweak to improve performance? 

It's not in production yet, so if I need to tear things down and rebuild them I can do so

Thanks,

James

4 Operator

• 

2.7K Posts

January 14th, 2022 08:00

Hello @jhdore,

Please, check the Dell EMC PowerVault MD32XX/36XX Series Support Matrix to check if you are using the correct hardware and OS configuration. I cannot see Windows Server 2019 as supported.

Also, make sure your firmware is up to date. And the Dell PowerVault MD3260/3260i/3660i/3660f/3060e Storage Arrays Owner's Manual https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/common/powervault-md3260_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf

Regards.

3 Posts

January 20th, 2022 01:00

The support matrix is unhelpful, since the only thing interacting with the array is iSCSI and the NTFS filesystem laid down on the iSCSI disk, neither of which are particularly unusual - unless there are such massive changes between the iSCSI and NTFS versions in flavours of windows, but I think this is unlikely.

For information, the software that manages the array is installed on Server 2012, which is supported. 

Firmware is up to date. 

It's looking more like an application issue though, as regular windows file transfers happen at excellent speed. 

Cheers,

James

4 Operator

• 

2.7K Posts

January 20th, 2022 10:00

Hello again @jhdore,

It is difficult for us to get involved in performance issues as such are not in the scope of support. We can help you providing information and manuals about configuration or help you discover an hardware issue if the PowerVault is still on warranty. But performance issue could be caused for several reasons that are normally only detectable under a strict analysis of the configuration both for hardware and software.

I suggest you to go and check configuration to observe if something is missing or check the MDSM log to see if you have any errors. Then we could help you to address this.

Regards.

No Events found!