Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

2 Posts

December 10th, 2018 05:00

MD3420, SMagent is not installed on Windows Server 2016

I have an MD3420 SAS connected to two Poweredge R440 servers running Microsoft Windows Server 2016.

An incorrect installation of software for the data storage subsystem MD3420 takes place, namely: SMagent is not installed (service is missing, directory with the executable file is missing), and DELL DSM drivers are not installed. In equipment of Microsoft MPIO, in the list "Devices Multipath I / O" there is no list of equipment DELL. In the OS Disk Management Manager, there is (NOT masked) service section 19Mb Access LUN31.

I install software from a Resource DVD from an official site DELL version 6.5.0.1, A10, where it is added support for Windows Server2016.

Thanks.

• 

6.9K Posts

December 10th, 2018 10:00

Hello Mogilinas,

If you installed MPIO drivers from the resource dvd then you should not see lun 31 in disk manager on your host.  I would uninstall MPIO drivers first. Then reinstall MPIO drivers from the resource dvd to ensure that they get installed correctly.   With SMagent I would try to reinstall MDSM again on your host. It seems that it didn’t get installed correctly the first time. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

2 Posts

December 10th, 2018 23:00

Hello DELL-Sam L,

The installation instructions for the Resource DVD says, I quote:

"On a server running Microsoft Windows Server 2016, the Microsoft MPIO driver needs to be installed prior to installing the Module Disk Storage Manager (MDSM) located on the Resource DVD available on Dell.com/support. Failure to do so will require MDSM to be installed a second time."

a) I include the default MPIO settings:

>Install-WindowsFeature Multipath-IO –IncludeManagementTools

>Enable-MSDSMAutomaticClaim -BusType SAS

b) I start the installation from Resource DVD. Type of installation I choose - Host Only - Installs the host-based storage agent and multipath drivers.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

• 

6.9K Posts

December 11th, 2018 08:00

Hello Mogilinas,

You will install the full Client MDSM (all boxes checked) on which ever Host you wish to manage your MD3420 from.  You install the Host Module only on the hosts that are attached to the array. After you get it all installed they should go into Administrative Service and look at the MPIO and check for a list of Dell Storage arrays.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

1 Rookie

• 

35 Posts

June 20th, 2019 09:00

were you able to figure this out? i am running into the same situation

No Events found!