Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

2 Posts

June 19th, 2022 08:00

MD3800i Data Access

Hello,

Can anyone please give some suggestions on the below? I am totally stuck here and really in need of help.

• We have an MD3800i storage device that was connected to a Dell Server (iSCSI initiator) and used in a Lab for some data backup purposes (configured with two RAIDS, 6 and 0).
  • The Dell Server(iSCSI initiator) is completely crashed (no backup is available & out of warranty) and we need the data available on the connected storage device.
  • When I connect the storage device to another Server (iSCSI initiator), I could see from the Storage Manager software that the storage is connected but when I go to the Disk Management to Map the drive, the drives are showing as 'Unallocated space" and the only options available there is- to create a new volume ( which would format the drive).
  • Are we missing any config here? What are our chances and options to get the the data out from the the MD3800 ?

Apologies for the missing information, if there are any. I am happy to give more details if required. 

2 Posts

June 20th, 2022 00:00

Hello @DELL-Joey C ,

Thanks for the response.

Yes, you are right- I am trying to open up the RAID volumes in a backup server.

The Windows versions are different, i was using Server 2012 in the crashed server and the backup server which we are trying to connect is Windows Server 2016. Would this be a cause for the issue ?

As you correctly mentioned, i am also suspecting some kind of access issue here since the RAID and all related configs are visible through MDSM.

Attaching couple of screenshots to make a clarity here. Please check if you can make out something from these. I am happy to share more details if you prefer. I am in really need of a solution, please help.

1> iSCSI initiator connectivity stats:

jnskjs_0-1655711414875.png

jnskjs_1-1655711525462.png

jnskjs_2-1655711629841.png

2> MDSM Host Mappings

jnskjs_3-1655711727849.png

3> Disk Management Error

jnskjs_4-1655711776156.png

• 

3K Posts

June 20th, 2022 00:00

Hi @jnskjs,

Trying to understand the situation. So you're trying to present the 2 RAID volumes, 6 and 0 to the back up server, but in Disk Management (Windows) it is showing Unallocated Space? Is both Windows the same version? Do you have a screenshot of the message?

I don't think there is any configuration issue on the storage but in Windows. But in Windows, we're unsure which configurations that we need to look at. It might be an access issue.

• 

3K Posts

June 20th, 2022 02:00

Hi @jnskjs,

From MDSM's screenshot, it seems to correct. IQN status showing connected with 2 iSCSI initiators. Although, I notice that you mentioned you only have 2 RAID volumes? Screenshot on the disk management is showing more than 10 volumes, is that correct? To me it looks like a MPIO configuration issue, unsure but it could be. And yeah, the volumes are showing unallocated which is new to me. Have you tried contacting Microsoft to check if it's an issue with the OS configuration?

13 Posts

June 26th, 2022 10:00

Most probably, if those volumes was previously formatted to NTFS, windows2016server, and windows2012server works different with NTFS deduplication and volumes won't mountable properly, or Efi partition id was changed. Easy to check if you install and run any basic DataRecovery software and check those volumes through them.

No Events found!