PowerVault

Last reply by 03-09-2022 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
3 Argentum

ME4024 and One Switch?

We have ordered a ME4024 SAN.

We have also ordered two new Dell r750s that will host ESXi 7.0.  Each server has two 1 GB nics and 4 10G SFP+ ports.

The current plan is to use one switch.

I have read that it is best to use two switches for redundancy in case a switch or controller fails.

Can we use one switch in case of controller failure vs using two switches?

Put the two controllers on a separate subnet and even a separate VLAN?

thanks

Replies (5)

Hi @SJNAPL,

Yes, it's recommended to have 2 switch configuration, in case any failures, not only on controller. It is also for switch failures. 

Can we use one switch in case of controller failure vs using two switches?

>> Yes you can.

Put the two controllers on a separate subnet and even a separate VLAN?

>> Yes you are correct.

DELL-Joey C
Social Media and Communities Professional
Dell Technologies | Enterprise Support Services
#IWork4Dell

Did I answer your query? Please click on ‘Accept as Solution’. ‘Kudo’ the posts you like!

3 Argentum

Thanks

I have a related question to a setup asked by another engineer that is not familiar with Dell SANs or vSphere.  I have setup an MD3200i and EqualLogic in the past by following the Dell Deployment guides for vSphere.

I have never set up a SAN in the manner described below using cross-over cables and not at least one switch.

Below is a description of the suggestion of doing it another way also uploaded picture.

-------------

There are multiple interfaces on the SAN for iSCSI. The SAN and ESXi host have 10gig connections .

We could use a cross over cable to connect directly to the SAN via networking without using a switch.
You should be able to configure an IP address on both ends that are on a different network (10.10.10.0/24).

This would be easier to manage then a switch between the SAN and a switch adds another point of failure.

Dell SAN and ESXi Setup.jpg

Hello SJNAPL,

You can also find an information about connection a controller enclosure to the management network here:

https://dell.to/3vOUUNu p. 21

Please let me know if you have any questions,

Thanks.

Maria J
#Iwork4Dell

Did I answer your query? Please click on ‘Accept as Solution’
‘Kudo’ the posts you like!
3 Argentum

Hi,

Yes, i have the deployment guide and read over it.

But as in my last post, I am not familiar with the setup for the Me4024 for vSphere that is described under the dashed lines.

thanks

Stan

Hi @SJNAPL,

Honestly, I've not deployed any ME4 before. But based on the deployment guide and user guide with your diagram description, you're trying to do direct attach using iSCSI.

Here's the guide for connecting storage to HOST directly:

https://dell.to/3KsDGKa

Page 27 onwards:

https://dell.to/3MzYzF3

DELL-Joey C
#IWork4Dell

Did I answer your query? Please click on ‘Accept as Solution’. ‘Kudo’ the posts you like!

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor