Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 27th, 2015 14:00

Managing Dell Powervault 220s from Poweredge 2950

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, and would greatly appreciate any advice you could offer.

I am looking to re-purpose some old hardware for WDS. We have an older PE2950 that I would like to use, as well as a Powervault 220s that would be used to store images.

Now, I know there are many forum posts on this subject, but I feel like I may have a unique situation, since the only add-in cards I have to interface with the PV are HP SC11Xe's.

I suppose my first question here is will this work? After installing the cards, I can see the drives in the PV during startup, and they even show up in Computer Management, but I can't do anything with the volume.

We're not looking to dump lots of money into this server, since it's pretty old. We are mainly looking to move away from running a WDS VM on a Mac Mini Server, and I thought this may be a better option.

We have an older server that was originally set up to run the PV; a PE1850, but the specs are not acceptable.

For what it's worth, the PV was originally set up as a spanned volume.

March 30th, 2015 10:00

Hello, cameron.tropser.

First, I can safely say that the HP SC11Xe's are not going to work with Dell Open Manage Server Administrator (OMSA). You have a couple of options: Boot into the HP controller's BIOS, and configure from there, or use the controller that is in the PE1850(?).

If this was used originally with the PD1850, then the config is more than likely still on that controller.

Past this, you won't be able to configure/manipulate the volumes via OMSA.

I hope that's helpful.

March 30th, 2015 12:00

There is. You can do some looking around for the Dell Adaptec U320. (I assume the SC11Xe is U320) I'm not sure if we sell it on our site, but you can probably find them around.

If it's not an Ultra 320, search for the Dell Adaptec 39160.

Both of these options will work with OMSA.

Let us know how it goes!

Have a good day!

March 30th, 2015 12:00

Thank you for your reply, Daniel... I will attempt to configure the PV via the HP card's BIOS.

Also, is there a Dell solution that will work in the PE2950 and will work with OMSA?

No Events found!