Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

January 31st, 2018 08:00

Move MD1220 to new server

I have Windows 2008 R2 on a PE R720XD with 5 TB of usable space on internal disks and an MD1220 with almost 12TB attached in unified mode. About 8 TB are in use between both sets of disks, all on one Windows volume.

I'm starting to plan for a move to a new server, probably an R540 or R740. Assuming I have enough free space on the MD when the time comes (or I may have a second one daisy chained by that time), is it possible to make all the data move to it so that I can shut down the old server and then just connect the MD to the new server?

Adding: The data are all backed up to a dedup device, so restoring from that is an option, but I'm hoping that I can avoid having to do that.

Thanks.

• 

6.9K Posts

February 1st, 2018 09:00

Hello trnc,

The MD1220 is not supported on any 14th generation server.  With that being said Dell has not tested an MD1220 on a 14th generation server to see if it will work on a 14th gen server. Here is a link to the support matrix, & as you can see on page 8 that a 13th gen server is supported using a PERC H810.  However with an MD1200/MD1220 you have to use the PERC utility to manage your MD as Open Manage Essentials will not run correctly.   http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/common/md1200_md1220_supportmatrix_en-us.pdf

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

No Events found!