AshJo
3 Silver

Multiple Drive failure on PowerVault MD3620I

Hi All,

We have a PowerVault MD3620I which has multiple drive failure and it is like this way for long. Raid5 configured, we know that we cannot get the data. We are just trying to replace 1 drive at a time and see if it works. The drive replaced is showing as unassigned. Is there anyway to recover data ? it is not under support contract. Need some inputs. We there is no way at all we will confirm that we cannot do anything about it.

0 Kudos
6 Replies

Re: Multiple Drive failure on PowerVault MD3620I

Hello AshJo,

What is the current version of firmware that is on your MD3620i?  Are your replacement drives Dell drives that are on the support matrix? Here is the link to the matrix just incase you need it. https://dell.to/3dlsXAB

Do u know the order that the drives failed in? Can you access MDSM & grab a support bundle?

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

DELL-Sam L
Social Media Support Enterprise
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
AshJo
3 Silver

Hi,

I have the order of failure and the new drive is supported as per matrix. What needs to be done next?

0 Kudos

Hello AshJo,

If you want to try to recover the disk group, then you will want to replace the drive that failed last first.  If you are going to just replace the drives and recreate the virtual disk then you can replace drives & wait 5 minutes in between drive replacements checking MDSM to make sure new drives are online.

DELL-Sam L
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
AshJo
3 Silver

Hi,

Drive is already replaced and it is showing as online but unassigned. We need to recover data. I believe before asking one of the drive was replaced. Now what are my options.

0 Kudos

Hello AshJo,

How many drives failed in the virtual disk?  Since you stated it was a raid 5, if it was more than 2 drives then, you would need to contact a data recovery company to recover the data.  What is the current version of firmware that is running on your MD3620i?

DELL-Sam L
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
dr.kiev
2 Bronze

Data recovery procedure is different and safely do out of the storage. We, usually, making clones from each drive (including corrupted ones) and create virtual raid configuration based on the meta data stored at the back-space of each disk. Thereafter, we get access to FS and simply transfer files to a different location. 

Trying to restore data the way you want , using original Dell equipment is quite dangerouse and can cause to none reversable loss.

0 Kudos