Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 23rd, 2012 12:00

Need help Getting Started with CLI for MD3620i

Hello,

I am testing a MD3620i  in our environment. I had setup up some virtual disks thru MDSM.

I mapped one of the virtual disk thru to two hosts

Now when i try to change the mapping of the disk i am getting a error

"Error 219 - The operation cannot complete because the virtual disk has a persistent reservation placed on it. Please release the reservation at the host and then retry the operation"

Is there a way to release this thru the GUI ?

I found a command " clear (allVirtualDisks | virtualDisk[virtualDiskName] | virtualDisks [virtualDiskName1" ... "virtualDiskNamen]) reservation " on the dell documents but i am not sure how i get access to the CLI ?

when i go thru the resource CD it didnt have any CLI option to install

Thank you

27 Posts

December 23rd, 2012 22:00

look for SMcli.exe underneath one of the Dell directories.  It should have been referenced in the manual where you found that command.

• 

6.9K Posts

December 24th, 2012 10:00

Hello chakriit,

You stated that you are trying to attach a virtual disk to 2 hosts.  When mapping a drive to 2 different host you have to be using cluster software to act in the middle so that both hosts won’t be trying to access the same virtual disk at the same time.  If you don’t have any cluster software in the middle both host will attempt to write to the disk and can cause u corruption.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

4 Posts

December 26th, 2012 20:00

Thank you so much...have released the reservation now..

and yes we are using MS failover cluster to access the shared storage.

cheers

2 Posts

May 23rd, 2013 09:00

How you remove the persistent reservation?

2 Posts

May 23rd, 2013 10:00

The CLI guide is not clear for me. I can not connect to storage. wich ports use? need enter user and password? The is an GUI interface to do this?

• 

6.9K Posts

May 23rd, 2013 10:00

Hello Emilson,

Here is a link to the CLI guide.  ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/Common/powervault-md3260_reference%20guide2_en-us.pdf if you look on page 81 it shows you how to remove persistent Reservations. 

• 

6.9K Posts

May 23rd, 2013 11:00

Hello Emilson,

Sorry there is no gui that can be used to remove persistent reservations as that can only be done via CLI.  What you need to do to access the SMcli is the following: go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\MD Storage Manager\client> if not installed on C:/   then change the drive letter to where you have installed MD Storage Manger.  Once there you should be able to login if have a password set and then run the command on page 81 to remove the persistent reservations.

11 Posts

May 23rd, 2013 19:00

Hello,

You can clear the Persistent Reservations via GUI aswell.

Open MDSM.

Go the Advanced --> Maintenance --> Persistent Reservations

Thank you

No Events found!