Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

MH

November 22nd, 2011 23:00

Need to change the Back panel of PV MD3000

Hi,

Is there any limitation if i want to change the backpanel of PV MD3000. Because its taking time to login the array by Web GUI (MDSM software) by only SAS connection. For this problem Dell tech Guy suggest me to change the backpanel. There is no network management port attache to it. Is it needed to backup all the data in it. There is mailbox cluster running in MD3000 and It fully populated. 

Please suggest.

Rajib

9.3K Posts

November 23rd, 2011 06:00

I'm not sure I understand what you mean or what you want to do?

There isn't really anything you can 'change' on the backpanel on an MD3000.

1.2K Posts

November 23rd, 2011 12:00

Do you mean the midplane, this sits between the disks and the storage contollers and psu's. This is normally an engineer replaced item but if it out of warranty and you're going to buy the part only. Then it's not that difficult.

November 23rd, 2011 21:00

Dev Mgr, thanks for reply.

change means dell suggest me to replace the backpanel. If i change the backpanel should all the configuration/data in hdd wiped out, or it will be still stored in NVram/HDD.

My main concern is that why this PV md3000 storage box taking longtime to login. I am using MDSM by SAS connectivity.

Another thing is that for "Dev Mgr" i have sent you friend request,will you accept it?

Regards,

Rajib

9.3K Posts

November 24th, 2011 12:00

The raid configuration is stored on the driver, so replacing the midplane shouldn't cause you to lose any configuration.

However, I also wouldn't think that replacing the midplane would resolve an issue with a slow login (I assume you mean that the iSCSI connections take a while to establish). This sounds more like an iSCSI network configuration issue (e.g. didn't enable portfast on the edge ports).

As for the friends request; this is a message board to me. I don't do 'friends' on a message board.

November 26th, 2011 20:00

Thanks for your advice. will I attach here MD3000 log file to where is the problem for the slow log-in. after that can you suggest me what to do?

Rajib

November 27th, 2011 23:00

The connection is SAS type, direct connection with the host server (win2k8) to storage md3000.

There is 1 pair of server+storage running win2k8 mailbox cluster. The 1st mailbox storage is OK but problem(slow login) in the 2nd mailbox storage.

Regards,

Rajib

847 Posts

November 28th, 2011 12:00

With a sas connection the sessions don't really login do they?

Did you attach the log?

November 30th, 2011 01:00

As per my finding there is only SAS connection available server to storage now, no network connection there.

I will attach the log a bit later.

Rajib

No Events found!