Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 19th, 2016 11:00

New Drives in MD1000 Issues

I've put 5 new 1 TB SATA HDDs into our MD1000... the drives show on the support matrix for MD1000.  2 out of the 5 drives show up as Ready in OMSA but 3 of the drives just have an 'Execute' button under status, show no bus protocol and are missing other pieces of information.  There are no tasks to execute so the button doesn't do anything.  The drives show with green lights and I see no errors in the logs.  Is there something I can do to bring these drives to ready?

Thanks. 

• 

6.9K Posts

January 19th, 2016 13:00

Hello SMOC,

Do all your drives have a Dell logo on them with a Dell part#?  The reason that I ask is that in some cases with drives that have the same model# but no Dell part# don’t get seen correctly by the MD1000.  Also were any of these drives pulled from another system or were they all purchased brand new?  If the drives are all brand new then you should be able to do a format on them & then be able to add them to your MD1000 virtual disk.  If the drives were pulled from another system then you may need to format them first & then insert them into the MD1000 as it could be reading data that was saved on the drives.  

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

5 Posts

January 19th, 2016 13:00

They're not Dell logo drives... I looked at the support matrix and selected a model number on there.  Is there any limitation on the number of drive types you can have in an MD1000 (such as 10 SATA and 5 SAS or something akin)?

They weren't pulled from another system.  Bought new.  

I'd have to format the drives in another system correct?    

• 

6.9K Posts

January 20th, 2016 12:00

Hello SMOC,

Ok so with the drives not have a Dell part# on them that is most likely why some of the drives are not getting seen.  In most cases with any HDD going into an MD if they are not Dell brand drives then they may not be seen & usable.  When you put the drive in the carrier for the MD was there an interposer board on them or did u put the drive directly in the carrier?  You can try to format the drives in a different machine and then insert them into your MD1000 but if they don’t give you the option to assign them to a virtual disk or bring online then the drive will not work in your MD1000.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

5 Posts

January 20th, 2016 14:00

I didn't see in the Support Matrix where it said it had to be a Dell drive?  Also, why does it show some of the drives but not others?  

5 Posts

January 21st, 2016 12:00

I changed out the 3 drives that weren't allowing me to do anything and used 3 Dell logo'd drives.  These three drives shows as Foreign and I have no option to clear, only Blink or Unblink on them... how do I clear the foreign status?

No Events found!