Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

2 Posts

March 20th, 2019 14:00

No hard drive activity

Hello,

I have a Powervault MD3200 with no hard drive led activity. Just the power light and amber status led on the front of the unit is lit. One of the SAS controllers has a controller fault led on as well. This is the first time I have touched this model and I'm not sure what to do next. It was impossible to contact the right person at Dell support. Any help?

Thank you in advance,

Ben

• 

6.9K Posts

March 21st, 2019 10:00

Hello Ben,

Is the controller that has the fault light on the top or the bottom controller?  Do you have the serial cable that comes with your MD3200? If you have the serial cable, then what you will need to do is to connect it to the non-working controller and capture the boot of the controller.  Startup a terminal emulation program like putty, teraterm, minicom or hyperterminal using these terminal settings (115200-8-n-1).  Once you are connected to the controller, then you will want to reboot the controller and capture the boot process so that we can see if the controller is in a lock down state or where it is failing in the boot process.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

March 22nd, 2019 10:00

It's the top controller. Should there be any hard drive light activity at all when the unit is powered up? No cables connected other than the power supplies. Thanks for responding. Ben

• 

6.9K Posts

March 26th, 2019 09:00

Hello Ben,

Once the controllers go through boot, then they will scan for the HDD’s and you should see lights on the drives. Do your hdd’s have a Dell part# on them?  All drives that will go into an MD3xxx system need to have drives that are on the support matrix.  Here is a link to the support matrix. https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/powervault-md3200_support-matrix_en-us.pdf  

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

No Events found!