Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 4th, 2011 02:00

Oracle RAC on MD3000i

Hello,

I need to setup Oracle RAC 11g ASM on Dell MD3000i storage.

I have MD3000i storage and two PowerEdge6850 servers.  I connected the storage to servers directly without any switch. I plugged a cable from controller 1 to server 1 for manage. Then I plugged a cable from iscsi port  1(controller 1) to  server 1 and a cable from iscsi port 2 (controller 1) to server 2. I'm using Oracle Enterprise Linux 5 x64 and asmLib package. But I can't create correct shared storage. So clusterware installation always fail.(I think the problem is, for example, if I create a folder from the first node I can't see folder from the second node which is created from the first node)

Could you please me to accomplish this task.

Thank you.

1.2K Posts

September 4th, 2011 05:00

The disk created on the MD can only belong to one contoller, meaning it can't be seen by servers connected to contoller 2. To direct attach 2 servers for cluster use, you need four nic connections. Server 1 connects to cntr 1 port 0 and cntr 2 port 1, Server 2 connects to cntr 1 port 1 and cntr 2 port 0.

This would give you multi path availability and each server would see disks on iether controller.

Cabling guide and considerations here 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

9 Posts

September 4th, 2011 10:00

Thank you for your help.

Each of PowerEdge6850 servers has 3 ethernet cards which will be used for Oracle RAC interconnect, public, private connections. And I need additional three ethernet cards to iscsi and management ports.

So is there any solution in this situation?

Thank you again.

9.3K Posts

September 6th, 2011 07:00

As tommo666 mention, you'd need 2 NICs dedicated to iSCSI on each host; one to each controller.

The management ports need to be plugged into your LAN or if you use a management network/vlan, that's an option too. To use MDSM you need to be able to communicate with both raid controller's management ports simultaneously.

9 Posts

September 6th, 2011 08:00

Thank you

No Events found!