bbrohm
1 Copper

PE2550 and PV200S Predictive Failures

I have a PE2550 with PERC/3 connected to 4 Internal 36GB HD's in a RAID-5 Array. I have a PE200S connected to external channel on same PERC/3 card as internal drives. The PV200s has 8 50GB HD's in it, and they all show predictive failures. A week ago only three were showing predictive failures, so I replaced three drives. Now I can't get any of the drives to come online properly. I was wondering if you think I have something connected wrong or maybe what I'm trying to accomplish with the given hardware just isn't possible, or maybe I have a bad PV200S.

Thanks,

Brian
0 Kudos
3 Replies
B_Segurson
2 Iron

Re: PE2550 and PV200S Predictive Failures

With all eight drives indicating predictive failures it is a fairly good bet that the cause is not the drives themselves.  What were the specific messages in Array Manager or Event Log?  Were there any disk related messages prior to the predictive failure message?

First your PERC card must be a /DC or /QC and the PV200S must be on a different channel than the one used for your internal drives.   Then you need to make sure your PV200S has the SCSI bus properly terminated, especially if you have SMM interface cards.  You also need to ensure you have a good SCSI cable.

There were problems a while back in the PERC software and in Array Manager software that could give a false predictive failure indication.  Make sure the firmware and software are at the latest levels available from the web.  I recall  the minimum levels to get past these problems were 1.98 for PERC3/DC and 3.4 for Array Manager.  I could be wrong on these, so check support.dell.com for latest downloads.
0 Kudos
bbrohm
1 Copper

What exactly should I look for to be Properly Terminated? I am on Channel 1 (INternal drives on are on Channel 0). I believe it is a PERC 3 DC card. I have a new SCSI cable (i don't have a nother of it's type to test though).

Brian
0 Kudos
Highlighted
B_Segurson
2 Iron

The PV200S had several options for termination. 

• If you had only one SCSI interface card, the other SCSI interface card slot should contain a terminator card.
  • If you had SMM cards (see label near SCSI connector) and only one connection to a PERC3/DC (which terminates its end of the bus), then a plug in terminator module is needed on the unused SMM card interface connector.
  • If you had SEMM cards then the card terminates the SCSI bus before going through some bus expander logic.  The other SCSI interface card slot must also contain an SEMM card.
  • if operating in split bus mode with SMM cards, the split bus module terminates the bus.

There should be a manual online, if you no longer have one with the unit.

0 Kudos