Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 2nd, 2016 12:00

PowerVault 110t LTO-3 Displaying Error (Code: 5)

Hi,

I have a Dell Powervault 110t LTO-3 tape drive that is out of warranty. Yesterday I turned it on to make a tape backup and was presented with error code 5 or 6, I am not sure because the one LED that distinguishes between the two is broken. I retrieved a manual that said it is a hardware error (I assumed it was error 5). I first put it into maintenance mode and tried to run a diagnostic. It starts the diagnostic (Option 1 in maintenance mode) and it runs for about 5 seconds then gives me error code 5 again. I contacted support but they want around $500 to speak to a tech and documentation is very hard to come by online. Since it took me awhile to find the manual, I have left a link below. My main question is what I should do and is there any other more specific codes I can get, that would provide more detail about what the actual hardware problem is? I am a hardware guy myself and am not afraid to solder or mess with anything inside the drive so any suggestions would be much appreciated! Just to let you know, budget wise, this is going to a youth film crew who need a cheap and easy way to archive projects digitally. I would love to present them with this for a Christmas present of sorts, but it needs to work first!

Thanks,

Brandon

• 

6.9K Posts

January 4th, 2016 13:00

Hello Brandon,

So since you are getting an error code 5 you are correct in that it is a hardware error. Now to figure out what is wrong what you would need to do is to get the log from the drive so that it can be looked at to see what error the drive is actually presenting. I am guessing that your drive is an IBM manufactured drive which if it is then you will need to install ITDT (IBM Tape Diagnostic Tool) & that can pull a drive log so that we can see which code is being presented. Here is a link to the ITDT so that you can install it & get the drive log. https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=HGG0F&fileId=3197384040&osCode=WNET&productCode=powervault-lto3-060&languageCode=EN&categoryId=TH

Once you have the log let me know & I can have you send me the log so that I can review it & let you know what is wrong with the drive & let you know what will need to be done to fix the drive.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

January 12th, 2016 15:00

Thanks Sam! I appreciate the response, but I already returned the drive upon an offer from the company that sold it to me. Sorry to waste your time, I am looking for another drive though and hopefully it won't have any problems. :)

Thanks,

Brandon

No Events found!