Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 28th, 2010 13:00

PowerVault 220S predicted failures

Hello Everyone,

We have an old PowerVault 220S which is 6 1/2 years old. About 3 weeks ago the drive in slot 0 developed a predicted failure. Two weeks ago slot 8 and 15 went into a predicated failure. I swapped out the drive in slot 0 on Tuesday. Today we tried to swap the drive in slot 8 and the system froze (didn't kernel panic). I rebooted and the drive began to rebuild. I noticed now that slot 15, 1 and even the new 0 is now in failure predicted states. I understand that the drives are fairly old but could I have this many failed drives? I have all of the firmware updates for the Perc 3D/C as well as the enclosure for the PowerVault. Since this unit is end of life I can't get any support on it so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

9.3K Posts

January 28th, 2010 14:00

You might have an EMM or backplane issue. If you are using only one (of 2) EMMs, you can try shutting down, swapping the EMMs and then see if it's any better.

In the long run, assuming you're running any kind of production on this system, I'd recommend to plan on replacing the unit, just based on it's age. It's replacement is the MD1000 or MD1200. Both of these do require PCIe based PERCs, so if your server only has PCI-X, you're also looking at upgrading the server.

No Events found!