stevenml
1 Copper

PowerVault 725N: I can't run Active Directory or LDAP

Is it possible to install Active Directory on the PowerVault 725N using the preinstalled system (Windows 2000 Server)?
0 Kudos
13 Replies
gsetienne
1 Nickel

Re: PowerVault 725N: I can't run Active Directory or LDAP

For me, A NAS can be a member of an AD architecture, but it can't be a DC, or another controller for Active Directory.

With the "Windows Powered" OS in any case...

I don't know if you can install another Microsoft OS...

0 Kudos
BlueHeeler
1 Nickel

The Windows Powered OS on the NAS can not be a domain controller of any kind. Additionally, it cant be a print server, a sql server, a dhcp server or an exchange server.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
JoeAlbergo
1 Copper

BlueHeeler

I know this is old - VERY OLD.

However what is your resource for your answer -

Although I totally understand what you've stated here, I want to make sure it's fact.

Been struggling with a new 725n that I've been working on and any other information would be great.

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos
tommo666
3 Zinc

Microsoft Server Appliance Kit

Services for UNIX®, Novell® NetWare®, and Macintosh (integrated on the Microsoft Windows Powered operating system)

Protocol support for TCP/IP, DHCP (client support), DNS (client support), NIS (client support), IPX, and AppleTalk

Disk management through Dell OpenManage™ Array Manager

Dell ActiveArchive™ snapshot software

This is a NAS built on Windows storage appliance SDK. Things like active directory are disabled as it's not a required or licensed feature. All the manuals are here: support.dell.com/.../index.htm

0 Kudos
JoeAlbergo
1 Copper

Damn, a man with great answers - Thanks a lot Tommo!

I appreciate that solid information, that is what I needed.

If not I would have been destined to make it work some how.

Is there any type of work around that you might have knowledge of?

Please get back to me - Thanks !

...also thank you to everyone in this thread who posted the question and answered..big help !

0 Kudos
Dev Mgr
5 Rhenium

If you can figure out a way to install your own OS, you can install regular Windows server on there and run AD and whatever else regular Windows server offers.

Member since 2003

0 Kudos
JoeAlbergo
1 Copper

I never thought about that..

0 Kudos
tommo666
3 Zinc

You will be limited as this is 10 year old tech. max 3gb ram, 250gb ATA100 disks. It doesn't have sata or onboard ide ports. It has USB ports but i don't know if they're bootable.

If it won't boot, you can try puting disks 2 and 3 in slots 0 and 1 and 0 and 1 back in slots 2 and 3. Normally 2 and 3 has a pristine copy of the OS on it's mirror. The working OS is on 0 and 1. I think i still have the cd's laying around somewhere.

0 Kudos
JoeAlbergo
1 Copper

Tommo - that's awesome information. My concern is that because I was not the original admin of this server - wether that OS is still in tact. If you find the discs of the OS - would you be able to upload an ISO somewhere for me?

0 Kudos