Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 5th, 2018 12:00

PowerVault 725n

Hello, I know this thing is VERY old, but I have a PowerVault 725N I use for IP camera storage, recently it will POST but hangs just after POST saying "System Health OK!" in the event that it does pass this screen it hangs at a black screen where it should be displaying the screen just before the boot cycle where it displays device info and such. I'm lost on what could be wrong, clearing CMOS does not help even to the slightest. Before I go and spend $20 on a new board for it, I was wondering if I can get it to work as is. 

A little extra info, all 4 drives work as they did before the system started doing this, it does it regardless if drives are present. I have tried different RAM and CPU's aswell as a power supply. I have attached a photo for reference.

20180905_151013.jpg

• 

6.9K Posts

September 10th, 2018 08:00

Hello Nestico27,

I would say you are correct that your motherboard is needing to be replaced since you are not able to get to the bios & the system doesn’t complete post.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

15 Posts

September 6th, 2018 17:00

Hello, I know this thing is VERY old, but I have a PowerVault 725N I use for IP camera storage, recently it will POST but hangs just after POST saying "System Health OK!" in the event that it does pass this screen it hangs at a black screen where it should be displaying the screen just before the boot cycle where it displays device info and such. I'm lost on what could be wrong, clearing CMOS does not help even to the slightest. Before I go and spend $20 on a new board for it, I was wondering if I can get it to work as is. 

A little extra info, all 4 drives work as they did before the system started doing this, it does it regardless if drives are present. I have tried different RAM and CPU's aswell as a power supply. I have attached a photo for reference.20180905_151013.jpg

• 

6.9K Posts

September 7th, 2018 09:00

Hello Nestico27,

Are you able to get into the bios of the system to see if all the drives are showing?  From the picture you posted it could be the motherboard in the system but it is hard to say for sure.  If you take the system down to min to post (Power supply, CPU, single stick of memory and HDD in slot 0&1) will the system fully post or no?

15 Posts

September 7th, 2018 15:00

I have brought it down to both minimums I possibly could, 512MB of RAM and the lowest end Celeron I have on hand. I cannot access BIOS being it hangs at that screen regardless of how it's configured, the only thing I have not tried is the power from another power supply. Periodically it'll get past that screen and hang at a blank/black screen where it would otherwise list some of the hardware (USB devices, drives present ethernet controllers, etc). I'm starting to lean towards buying the board for $20. Though the system is very old, it is highly valuable to us for our IP camera storage and for $20 to keep an otherwise great and reliable machine around. 

I am still open to suggestions until I actually follow through with the order, I would have to agree from my experience, if a computer is giving trouble at that state, it can most likely be pin pointed to a motherboard issue. Although it's not currently operating I am still quiet pleased with it. It's along the lines of 17yrs old and it only quit a month ago. I bought it about 8 years ago at auction and what I know about it, it was initially bought and used at a local community college and operated 24/7, after coming into my hands it has ran roughly 18/20hrs a day up until about a year ago where it was re purposed as IP camera storage and has since ran back at the 24/7 mark unless it was down to be cleaned and updated. 

15 Posts

September 10th, 2018 18:00

Thank you, Sam

We have decided to order the board since we have now tried the power supply, with 3 different power supplies we get the same results. Thank you and I hope this post helps anyone that runs into a similar problem with the same server (if anyone else even runs these) or other servers.

15 Posts

October 18th, 2018 20:00

Update after a few weeks of new board, this was indeed the problem, what we now call "Hulk" is now running happily. 

• 

6.9K Posts

October 19th, 2018 07:00

Hello Nestico27,

Glad that has resolved your issue.

No Events found!